How to control masquitos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to OSU Extension Facts Sheet EPP 7312:

Insecticides (Outside).
For adults, spray window screens,
shrubs, ornamental plants, and around doors and windows.
Use space sprays (aerosols) inside (pyrethroids) or sprays
labeled for mosquito, gnat, or midge control. Cynoff EC,
Demand CS, Ortho Flying Insect Killer, Ortho
“Mosquito-B-Gon” Tree and Shrub spray, Demon EC,
Suspend SC, Tempo SC Ultra, and several more
insecticides are labeled for outdoor mosquito control, although some of these are for commercial applicator use
only.
For larvae, treat temporary rain pools, intermittently flooded
areas, tree holes, and standing or stagnant water with a
labeled larvacide. Drain or fill low-lying landscape areas
where water collects, and empty and discard artificial
containers such as old tires, buckets, cans, or other
water-holding items. Standing water can be treated with
Altosid per label as a liquid, pellets, or briquettes. Bacterial
insecticide Bacillus thuringiensis variety israelensis (apply
per label directions); Bayer Advanced Mosquito Preventer
Granules; Mosquito Dunks (Bt. i.) and similar products
are available for treating breeding sites.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a few years ago the wife sprayed some junk on me to keep ticks and skeeters off, I wound up in the ER. Serious reaction to the deet, it took 3 days to get off oxygen. I was given several doses of epinephrine and that stuff is real bad for a fella with the heart problems I deal with. I just stay inside and away from skeeters as best I can.

P.S. We had no idea I was allergic to the deet, it was the first time I ever had any on me, I was 44.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put goldfish in my horse water tank and never feed em. They eat water bugs and algae.

We did the same with some 3" channel cat we netted in the creek when I was a kid.
They got 13" long a couple of years later.
We debated eating them, but living in cow slobbers didn't sound too appetizing. Lol.

AKJ20

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HOMEMADE MOSQUITO TRAP:
Items needed:
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast
1 2-liter bottle

HOW:
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)

Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HOMEMADE MOSQUITO TRAP:
Items needed:
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast
1 2-liter bottle

HOW:
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)

Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control
Very cool, I'll try this.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then there is this.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1991-07-15/news/1991196049_1_mosquito-burmese-schreiber

BELLE GLADE, FLA - BELLE GLADE, Fla. (AP) -- The cannibal offspring of giant Burmese mosquitoes soon will be looking for prey in empty lots and back alleys of this skeeter-plagued town on the shores of Lake Okeechobee.

L But people in the area have nothing to fear, scientists say.

The killer baby bugs have a taste for their own kind, not for human blood.

"It would be kind of horrible to release a mosquito 15 times bigger than normal and have it out biting people," said Eric Schreiber, the Panama City entomologist heading the experiment. "I imagine they'd run me out of town."

Toxorhynchites splendens, the adult Burmese mosquito that Mr. Schreiber plans to release, feeds on nectar.

But its larvae, after they hatch, will eat any other species of mosquito larvae unlucky enough to be in the same area.

A single Burmese larva can devour up to 250 of its smaller cousins.

Mr. Schreiber, who works for the Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services, had experimented unsuccessfully with the Burmese mosquito in Tallahassee and Sarasota.

Latest posts

Top Bottom