How to measure for proper screw driver bit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superslomo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So to get the proper bit size, do we take feeler gauges and a micrometer? Talking about flat blade screw heads here. I have a DeHaan SXS double that has some special super wide bit screws. Nothing that I own even comes close to fitting. I have Wheeler kits and some other kit I inherited.

How do you guys do it? I know stick the driver in the head and see if there is slop LOL. What do you all do?

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a driver bit set for Brownings that is for very thin but wide screw slots. May want to in estimate that. As for fit I can’t offer more than the wiggle test either.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I buy a bundle of spring steel and some small file handles from Amazon and make custom screwdrivers for each application. Somewhere on YouTube there are 2 or 3 videos of an old English gunsmith showing how to work on double barrel shotguns. In the first video of the series he shows how to make custom “turn screws” as he calls them. Pretty interesting videos.

Latest posts

Top Bottom