how would you handle this situation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand what BB is talking about. When my best friend's mom passed, his sisters went to taking everything they wanted. He was really hurt. He said he felt like they thought he was already dead and forgot that he was still alive. I would let it go.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way I look at it, your grandfather passed and all his stuff now belongs to your grandmother. When she's ready she'll give you some of it but you can't pester her into it. Enjoy the time you have left with her, you never know when she might pass and the last thing you did was ask about the guns. Material objects come and go, family is what's important.

And BadgeBunny, have you told your son about what his wife has been saying? I love my wife but we'd have a long chat about something like that.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't worry about any worldly stuff. Just spend time with your Grandmother and be glad you can. When you grow old you'll probably look back and wish you would have never created this thread.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if she was the one who came in last week and wanted to sell all her husbands guns because she was afraid her grandchildren would get hurt with them.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is not much you can do in your situation except learn from it. A will is a wonderful thing to do for your children. It will save them much grief. However most people just don't generally feel comfortable talking about death. I am blessed to have family that was responsible enough to take care of these sorts of things while they were still alive. Many a spouse has disregarded the wishes of the deceased for any number of reasons.

Someday when you want your grandson to have that old shotgun and you are too old to walk much anymore, give it to him, don't count on your wishes to be honored in a situation of turmoil.

bobthebrewer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
there is no pestering involved, and i try to spend as much time as i can but with her living 2 hours away it makes traveling frequently an issue. the thing that really bothers me about it is that is how we bonded (my grandfather and myself) and its not the items themselves but the memories of him that are attached. as far as anything in writing, i know he did leave a will but it was never read, so for that i have no idea but he had discussed it with me before he passed. my family is on good terms, she just doesnt understand or have any experience with firearms.

Rumur

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the deal. Your Grandfather told you and your Grandmother that you and your brother were to get his guns. She knows it, you know it and you both know the other knows it. But those were her husbands guns. She knows that he had them for years and cherished them. She is holding on to them because she is still trying to hold on to him. The excuse of the kids is just that...an excuse. Let her have her time with them because in her mind, it is time with him.

Just my .02.

Latest posts

Top Bottom