Hunting Rifles - Need a new one

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you were shooting match ammo? Do you also shoot deer with field points when you bow hunt? About the same thing. It wasn't the caliber, .308 and .30-06 are damn near identical in medium weight bullets.

O/P if you have a .308 and are looking for something different a .30-06 ain't it. Yes heavier and louder but that's about it. Tons of neat stuff to pick, a WSM caliber, RUM, .338WM, Weatherby, etc. you want different, go different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They differ in 100-300 fps. in all of the "newest and greatest" calibers designed to sell guns and ammo.
There is nothing wrong with the classic calibers with the new bullets.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you guys tell I lost 2 studs to the .308 yet?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think it was the 308 that made you loose two studs.
I have lost deer, but generally it had nothing to do with my equipment. Having said that, I did trade off a rifle because I missed an easy shot, but it was me not taking my time.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They differ in 100-300 fps. in all of the "newest and greatest" calibers designed to sell guns and ammo.
There is nothing wrong with the classic calibers with the new bullets.

The old bullets still work too. Sierra Game King, Nosler Partition, Speer Hot Core, and I'm pretty sure I saw some Remington Core-Lokt for sale the other day. My point was that shooting game with a FMJ match bullet was his problem, not his caliber choice.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright my fellow OSA folks, I am in need of a new hunting rifle. I have a Remington 700 in .308 and a Winchester 94 in 30-30. Black rifles in 5.56/7.62x39 and .300BLK. Looking to hunt anything in Oklahoma from Yotes to Elk, on my farm as well as Fort Sill. I am open to all information on calibers and brands. Help a fella out will ya. What would you buy if you wanted a new hunting rig?
I've had a couple of .308 AR's that both were at least as accurate as I'm capable of shooting - a DPMS that never would run reliably without lots of TLC and a Windham that's eaten anything I've fed it without hiccup. Might be something to consider if you're leaning toward semi-auto since it would share food with your Remmy. If you're looking at adding another bolt action to the stable, though, I'd definitely consider the .30-06 as others have mentioned.

Model 70

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The old bullets still work too. Sierra Game King, Nosler Partition, Speer Hot Core, and I'm pretty sure I saw some Remington Core-Lokt for sale the other day. My point was that shooting game with a FMJ match bullet was his problem, not his caliber choice.

Yes, the Remington Core-Lokt is still dropping deer, and elk. I shoot a vintage 1958 Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 with a SWAF Super Sniper mounted in Ken Farrell rings and base. Definitely not sub MOA, but the deer and elk couldn't tell the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 30-06 has probably taken as many if not more game than any other caliber. It's definitely proven itself but it's such a bland caliber to me. Does it do anything exceptionally well...not really.
Go 300 win mag if you want to stick with the 30 cal and hunt elk. If you go with an -06 drop that baby down to a 25 cal and put some speed behind it.

I'm just rambling now. They'll all punch holes thru leather.

Latest posts

Top Bottom