Hunting season question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. I am struggling here with the regulations. When I read this: "One antlered and two antlerless deer, at least one antlerless deer must be harvested from Zone 2, 7 or 8. See Antlerless Deer Zones for more information." In the Muzzle-loader Anterless section.

So, my reading of this passage tells me that I can take two Does but the first one must be from zone 2,7, or 8. Is that the same thing everyone else reads there? If so, what the heck? So, we can't shoot a doe in the other zones unless we already took one in the specified zone? That sucks. What if our area is overrun by does and they need thinning? Uh?

What do you more experience folks think?

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah. Shoot away for your first doe in your own zone, but if you decide you want to shoot a second doe, then it must be from one of the specified zones. Basically, your bag limit for deer is 2 with muzzleloader; 1 antlered and one antlerless; you can only shoot a third deer (second doe) if you take it from the specified area.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would actually look at it a little different than Shooter does. The limit is 3 deer combined. Two antler less and one antlered. One antler less must come from specified zones.

I see what you did there... I read your first sentence and thought, "crap! have I misread that these last few years?" Then I proceeded reading.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An easier way to look at it is that 2,7 and 8 are two doe counties and the rest of the state are one doe counties.
With your bag limit being 3 deer. Only one can be a buck. You can kill them in any order in any area.
Same rules apply for rifle and ML.

Now let's make this real muddy
If you kill a doe in a one doe zone and you want to kill another, you have to go hunt in a two doe zone. If you kill a doe in a two doe zone you can still go kill another in a one doe zone. You just cant take more than one doe from single doe zones. But if you hunt in a 2 doe zone (like I do) you can kill both doe in that are the same day if you want.
Pretty much if you want to kill two doe, one of them has to come from zones 2,7 or 8.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Based on all the responses it seems safe to proceed as planned in my own area. However, the language clearly states one doe must come from the specified zones. If that is the case, and a hunter takes only one doe, that doe would have to come from a specified zone to meet the guidelines. I think it needs to be adjusted or have a qualifying remark added etc. :uhh:

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It took me 2 or 3 reads the first time I looked at it too, but then it clicked and now when I read it all I see is the way it is intended. It can be somewhat ambiguous sounding, but that's par for the course on a lot of the stuff in that manual if you ask me.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You also have to remember the regs booklet is also a short revised version of the actual laws.

It says this on the booklet itself...

"These are not a legal document. This is an interpretive summary of the Titles 29 and 800 of Oklahoma Statutes governing Fish and Wildlife laws as established by the Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Commission and contains those rules that affect the average angler. For a complete listing of official regulations, you can obtain copies of current Oklahoma Statutes through your local library."

Latest posts

Top Bottom