Hunting season question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You also have to remember the regs booklet is also a short revised version of the actual laws.

It says this on the booklet itself...

"These are not a legal document. This is an interpretive summary of the Titles 29 and 800 of Oklahoma Statutes governing Fish and Wildlife laws as established by the Oklahoma Wildlife Conservation Commission and contains those rules that affect the average angler. For a complete listing of official regulations, you can obtain copies of current Oklahoma Statutes through your local library."

WOOHOO! Knew something was missing! I had forgotten all about that. I researched that stuff years ago for a criminal case I had. (Guy charge with unlawful taking etc. )

Odd though that it mentions Titles 29 and 800 of Oklahoma Statutes because 800 is not a Statute. Rather it is the Oklahoma Administrative Code, the actual rules put out by ODW and modified more frequently than statutes generally.

Here is the actual language:
800:25-7-52. Deer - primitive firearms (muzzleloading)
The following hunting dates, open areas, bag limits and legal means of taking apply to deer hunting with primitive firearms:
(1) Dates. The dates for the deer primitive firearms seasons shall be the fourth Saturday in October continuing nine days through Sunday.
(2) Open areas. The season is open statewide.
(3) Bag limit. The bag limit shall be one antlered deer and on designated days and areas, two antlerless deer. Antlerless areas and days will be determined annually and published in the Hunting Regulation brochure. No more than one antlered and two antlerless deer may be taken, and only with the appropriate tags. A separate antlerless tag is required to hunt for each antlerless deer on all designated days and in all designated areas, except an unfilled buck tag may be used to harvest an antlerless deer in designated areas on the last day of the primitive season

Now, to me that makes perfect sense. Not sure why they don't put that in the book I picked up! Ugh! Thanks everyone!.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now, to me that makes perfect sense. Not sure why they don't put that in the book I picked up! Ugh! Thanks everyone!.

To set the record straight, When the title 800 regulations are passed, a panel of folks at the ODW set down and put it into laymans terms.
Sometimes it may be slightly confusing, but they do the best they can, and do sometimes make mistakes.
Thats why the disclaimer is put in the hand out.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To set the record straight, When the title 800 regulations are passed, a panel of folks at the ODW set down and put it into laymans terms.
Sometimes it may be slightly confusing, but they do the best they can, and do sometimes make mistakes.
Thats why the disclaimer is put in the hand out.

Naturally. I've done that myself for other state agencies in fact! It is a nice publication they put out. Just making sure I was in the clear on plans. This may just be the year!! :) Thanks.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rather than start a new thread, I'm hijacking this one since this conversation appears all but played out. I got a question too, mostly curiousity. How long do you give a deer to lay on the minimum side after shooting it with a bow. Let's say the shot looks good and you even think you hear it crash? What is the minimum amount of time you wait before checking?

What if you don't hear it crash but still think it was a good shot?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
See the crash, gather up my stuff and go the deer. Hear the crash, wait 15-20 minutes.(Usually windy where I hunt so very seldom do I hear the crash.) Good looking shot and don't see or hear any crash, 30 minutes minimum. Longer if it's a giant.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rather than start a new thread, I'm hijacking this one since this conversation appears all but played out. I got a question too, mostly curiousity. How long do you give a deer to lay on the minimum side after shooting it with a bow. Let's say the shot looks good and you even think you hear it crash? What is the minimum amount of time you wait before checking?

What if you don't hear it crash but still think it was a good shot?

What?? You're supposed to wait? I take off running after the thing pumping more rounds into it if it doesn't just drop right there!

I kid! :)

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK. So I'm just turning this thread into an "any random question you have about hunting" thread apparently. As mentioned elsewhere, I've only shot 4 deer in my life. I've cleaned/ processed them all myself but this year I intend to get them processed professional, at least 1 because I want to try that summer sausage from Terry's Taxidermy. I hear it is "d shiz nit." But I got to thinking, what happens if you don't find a deer until like, 9:00 pm or something? Do you just keep it in the bed of your truck until morning to turn it in to them or is there a way to get it to them at night? And what are his hours? I didn't see them last time I looked at his website.

Latest posts

Top Bottom