Hunting season question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The first and formost thing you need to do, is gut the deer, and put it on ice.

I keep a small tarp in the truck, put the deer on it after gutting, and get to a convience store.
Two bags in the chest cavity, and two poured around the outside of the deer, and then wrap the tarp around it. It will be good until morning when you can get it turned in.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even if there is snow on the ground, I'll pack the cavity with snow, or put ice on it.
Good meat prep makes for great eating.
With online checkin, I'll also take the deer home, and wash it out throughly before taking it in to the processor.
Trust me on this. My friend owns a processing plant in Tonkawa. He has told me many times how disgusting it is to get a deer in, covered in mud, blood, guts, etc.
He lets his deer hang before final processing. Don't know about now, but in the past processors couldn't wash out a deer because of the possibility of bacteria in the water.
It may be different now.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first and formost thing you need to do, is gut the deer, and put it on ice.

I keep a small tarp in the truck, put the deer on it after gutting, and get to a convience store.
Two bags in the chest cavity, and two poured around the outside of the deer, and then wrap the tarp around it. It will be good until morning when you can get it turned in.

I had to do this once with a nice buck I shot at Push. Iced him down in the back of my old Jeep and hi tailed it back to Sapulpa. Delivered him to the processor the next morning in great shape! Now I hunt less than 5 miles from the processor I use. Deer's been dead less than an hour by the time I get there.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, aside from the fact that this thread highlights my utter ignorance of the regulations. :bowdown: I like the idea of a "General Huntin Question thread" On that note, I presume, based on my pathetic reading of the regs that one can use a center fire rifle to hunt Hogs during Muzzleloader deer season? So long as one is in possession of a hunting licens for that particular season? What about use of firearm for hogs during Bow Season? (Both on private lands of course)

I ask because I really liked Muzzleloader season last season. Had a good time but determined that I really did not want to shoot the Deer! :sorry4: Dunno why but they seemed too cute and furry I suppose! :) Tried a different muzzleloader rifle this year and found it to be less fun! I may try again (I like the TC Impact!!) But I found it to be dirty and kind of a PITA comparatively. Instead of going out for muzzleloader for deer I figure I will just take pictures of the deer and hunt for pigs! Hmm..... Cool eh? :hyper:

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No consensus on the rifle use during Muzzelloader season? Or, am I being a lazy tool? :smash:

Sidebar: I think next year will be the year I actually try my hand at a deer. Been watching the videos and seems the whole gutting process thing looks fairly easy. Gross but easy! Ugh!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Feral Hog Questions and Answers
What licenses do I need to hunt hogs?*

I am a non-resident and will be hunting hogs with a friend on private land. Do I need a license?

Can we hunt hogs at night with firearms? *

Do you have a list of private landowners that are having hog problems and will let people hunt on their property?

Do you have a list of hog hunting guides?

What is the best public land in the state to hunt hogs on?

How can I find out where I can hunt hogs in Oklahoma?* *

Can I use a crossbow to hunt hogs?

Is it true that some feral hogs have rabies?

.Is hunter safety required for hog hunting?

If I shoot a hog and it runs onto someone else’s property, do the same rules apply as deer?

What will be the penalties for hunting hogs out of season or violating other hog hunting rules?

Can I run them with dogs for sport only on WMAs (during daylight hours)?

If I have a suspended or revoked hunting license, can I still hunt hogs?

During archery season, can I hunt on a WMA with a .30-06 for hogs?*

If coyote season is open year-round on a WMA, does that mean that hog hunting is open year-round?

Can I trap hogs (live trap) on public or private lands?

Is there a daily limit for feral hogs?

Do I have to tag or check the animal in at a check station?

Can I take my feral hog to a local meat processor?

*Chasing feral hogs with dogs is considered hog hunting, and the regulations listed above governing hog hunting also apply to pursuit of feral hogs with hounds. *

What licenses do I need to hunt hogs?

On private lands, you do not need a hunting license, except during firearms big game seasons (muzzleloader, all deer gun seasons and elk season), hunters must possess a filled or unfilled deer or elk license appropriate for that current season unless exempt. On public land, you will need a hunting license and during the regular firearms deer seasons (muzzleloader, all deer gun seasons and elk season) on WMAs open during these seasons, you must possess either a filled or unfilled deer license appropriate for those seasons.

*I am a non-resident and will be hunting hogs with a friend on private land. Do I need a license?

No, except during firearms big game seasons (muzzleloader, all deer gun seasons and elk season and elk season), hunters must possess a filled or unfilled deer or elk license appropriate for that current season.

Can we hunt hogs at night with firearms?

No. It is illegal to hunt hogs at night, except landowners can get a depredation permit from the State Game Warden in their county that will allow them to shoot hogs at night.*

Do you have a list of private landowners that are having hog problems and will let people hunt on their property?

The Department does not keep a list of landowners that are having problems with hogs. You may find a place to hog hunt by looking in the newspaper, on the Internet, talking to other hunters, visiting with landowner at local cafes, etc.*

Do you have a list of hog hunting guides?*

The Department does not license guides and therefore does not maintain a list of guide services. You may be able to find a hog hunting guide by looking in the newspaper, on the Internet or at one of the state’s outdoor/hunting shows.*

Hog populations are variable and it is hard to determine the best public land on which to hunt hogs. Contact other hunters and area managers of public land for more information.

How can I find out where I can hunt hogs in Oklahoma?

The best bets for locating a place to hunt hogs are the classifieds in the newspaper, on the Internet or at one of the state’s outdoor/hunting shows. Other hunters can also be good sources of information on where to hog hunt. *

Yes, you can hunt hogs with a crossbow. As long as it is legal for a hunter to use a crossbow, he or she can use one to hunt for hogs on public land during seasons when a crossbow is a legal means of hunting.

Hogs, like all mammals, can get rabies but it isn't very likely.

Is hunter safety required for hog hunting?

Hunter safety certification is not required specifically for hunting hogs. However, if you are hunting on public land or if you are hunting on private land during any firearms big game season, a hunting license and/or appropriate big game license is required, and these licenses may require proof of hunter safety certification to purchase.

If I shoot a hog and it runs onto someone else’s property, do the same rules apply as deer?

Yes, you will need to obtain landowner permission to retrieve the animal.

What will be the penalties for hunting hogs out of season or violating other hog hunting rules?

* The fines will be similar to those for other game law violations. *

Yes, when there are other open seasons that allow for the use of dogs as a means of hunting. *

Can I hunt hogs on a WMA if* my hunting license is suspended or revoked?

No, you cannot hunt hogs on a WMA if you have a suspended or revoked license. *

During archery season, can I hunt for hogs on a WMA with a .30-06 for hogs?

If the WMA has an open season that allows a .30-06 as a legal firearm, then yes you can. If that particular WMA is open only to archery deer hunting, then you would be restricted to hunting hogs with a bow and arrow.

If coyote season is open year-round on a WMA, does that mean that hog hunting is open year-round?

Yes, provided that during the firearms deer seasons (muzzleloader, modern gun and special antlerless seasons) you must possess a filled or unfilled deer license for that appropriate season, and you must comply with other regulations that apply to that season (blaze orange requirements, for example).

Can I trap hogs (live trap) on WMAs or private lands?

You can trap hogs on private land anytime, but on department managed lands, you can live trap hogs with box traps only during times and in areas open to trapping, including Honobia Creek, Three Rivers and Broken Bow WMAs. However, on Honobia Creek, Three Rivers and Broken Bow WMAs, feral hogs can only be killed during deer archery, youth antlerless deer gun, deer muzzleloader and the first nine days of deer gun season with the appropriate means of take for the season and you must have either a filled or unfilled deer license for that particular season.

No, there are no limits for feral hogs.

No, there are no tags or check stations for feral hogs.

Contact your local meat processor to see if they are licensed to process wild hogs. Many hog hunters process their own meat, so your best bet for “do it yourself” tips may be to visit with other hunters who have processed their own animals.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Feral Hog Questions and Answers
What licenses do I need to hunt hogs?*

I am a non-resident and will be hunting hogs with a friend on private land. Do I need a license?

Can we hunt hogs at night with firearms? *

Do you have a list of hog hunting guides?

How can I find out where I can hunt hogs in Oklahoma?* *

.Is hunter safety required for hog hunting?

If I have a suspended or revoked hunting license, can I still hunt hogs?

During archery season, can I hunt on a WMA with a .30-06 for hogs?*

Can I trap hogs (live trap) on public or private lands?

*Chasing feral hogs with dogs is considered hog hunting, and the regulations listed above governing hog hunting also apply to pursuit of feral hogs with hounds. *

What licenses do I need to hunt hogs?

On private lands, you do not need a hunting license, except during firearms big game seasons (muzzleloader, all deer gun seasons and elk season), hunters must possess a filled or unfilled deer or elk license appropriate for that current season unless exempt. On public land, you will need a hunting license and during the regular firearms deer seasons (muzzleloader, all deer gun seasons and elk season) on WMAs open during these seasons, you must possess either a filled or unfilled deer license appropriate for those seasons.

*I am a non-resident and will be hunting hogs with a friend on private land. Do I need a license?

No, except during firearms big game seasons (muzzleloader, all deer gun seasons and elk season and elk season), hunters must possess a filled or unfilled deer or elk license appropriate for that current season.

Can we hunt hogs at night with firearms?

No. It is illegal to hunt hogs at night, except landowners can get a depredation permit from the State Game Warden in their county that will allow them to shoot hogs at night.*

The Department does not keep a list of landowners that are having problems with hogs. You may find a place to hog hunt by looking in the newspaper, on the Internet, talking to other hunters, visiting with landowner at local cafes, etc.*

Do you have a list of hog hunting guides?*

The Department does not license guides and therefore does not maintain a list of guide services. You may be able to find a hog hunting guide by looking in the newspaper, on the Internet or at one of the state’s outdoor/hunting shows.*

Hog populations are variable and it is hard to determine the best public land on which to hunt hogs. Contact other hunters and area managers of public land for more information.

How can I find out where I can hunt hogs in Oklahoma?

The best bets for locating a place to hunt hogs are the classifieds in the newspaper, on the Internet or at one of the state’s outdoor/hunting shows. Other hunters can also be good sources of information on where to hog hunt. *

Yes, you can hunt hogs with a crossbow. As long as it is legal for a hunter to use a crossbow, he or she can use one to hunt for hogs on public land during seasons when a crossbow is a legal means of hunting.

Hogs, like all mammals, can get rabies but it isn't very likely.

Is hunter safety required for hog hunting?

Hunter safety certification is not required specifically for hunting hogs. However, if you are hunting on public land or if you are hunting on private land during any firearms big game season, a hunting license and/or appropriate big game license is required, and these licenses may require proof of hunter safety certification to purchase.

Yes, you will need to obtain landowner permission to retrieve the animal.

* The fines will be similar to those for other game law violations. *

Yes, when there are other open seasons that allow for the use of dogs as a means of hunting. *

Can I hunt hogs on a WMA if* my hunting license is suspended or revoked?

No, you cannot hunt hogs on a WMA if you have a suspended or revoked license. *

During archery season, can I hunt for hogs on a WMA with a .30-06 for hogs?

If the WMA has an open season that allows a .30-06 as a legal firearm, then yes you can. If that particular WMA is open only to archery deer hunting, then you would be restricted to hunting hogs with a bow and arrow.

Yes, provided that during the firearms deer seasons (muzzleloader, modern gun and special antlerless seasons) you must possess a filled or unfilled deer license for that appropriate season, and you must comply with other regulations that apply to that season (blaze orange requirements, for example).

Can I trap hogs (live trap) on WMAs or private lands?

You can trap hogs on private land anytime, but on department managed lands, you can live trap hogs with box traps only during times and in areas open to trapping, including Honobia Creek, Three Rivers and Broken Bow WMAs. However, on Honobia Creek, Three Rivers and Broken Bow WMAs, feral hogs can only be killed during deer archery, youth antlerless deer gun, deer muzzleloader and the first nine days of deer gun season with the appropriate means of take for the season and you must have either a filled or unfilled deer license for that particular season.

No, there are no limits for feral hogs.

No, there are no tags or check stations for feral hogs.

Contact your local meat processor to see if they are licensed to process wild hogs. Many hog hunters process their own meat, so your best bet for “do it yourself” tips may be to visit with other hunters who have processed their own animals.

Read that too. Seems to say that it is all good with rifle. At least that's my reading of it. Not clearly delineated though. Figured someone may have first hand knowledge. This would be a private land situation. I have never shot a deer. Maybe next year but it sure is nice to be out in the woods. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom