Hunting Tips (please share yours)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having trouble spotting deer in the woods? Look for horizontal lines in a vertical world! A deer's back will break up the normal vertical lines of a tree.

Remember to take out what you brought in with you.... lunch weighs a lot less going out than it did on the way in!

Close all gates behind you!

Be sure of your target....AND What's behind it!

Practice, Practice , PRACTICE some more!

Respect the animal you are hunting.... Try to make a clean well placed kill shot. If you are at doubtful don't take the shot! If you can afford to purchase a license and all the implements it takes to go hunting.... you can definitely afford a hamburger tonight....Most don't hunt to feed the family anymore!

Make sure you take clean pictures.... Try not to include the incision, gut pile or have the tongue hanging out.

Muleman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Start making a list days in advance of everything you'll be needing. Carry your list with you to work or where ever you go so that you can add to it when you think of something you will need. Pack everything the night before checking each item off of your list as you pack. Then, put it all together in one location, ready to load and go.
I have a 17 yr old that is the poster child for procrastination and has been known to forget such things as his bow, bullets, clothes ... because he waits till the last minute to get everything ready. I start in on him to make a list about a week in advance now.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Know what the deer are doing before you start trying to kill them (scout).
For instance in my area:
the deer don't travel the creeks beds or valleys, they travel the ridges beside the creeks and valleys.
Windy days puts them in the thickets on the hillsides.
Natural browse like acorns and persimmons will win out over any food plot or feeder, regardless of crop or feed.
When the orange vests hit the woods for rifle season they head for the tall grass on the hilltops for bedding and cover.
If you know where your neighbors are hunting you can use it to your advantage. chances are the deer will alter normal travel patterns and cross fences where there is the least amount of pressure.

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take extra everything. Took a friend of mine hog hunting last weekend who had never been any kind of hunting before. he got to my house and I was loading my gear up and he couldn't figure out why I had so much stuff with me for a one day hunt. I take extra clothes, boots, knives, anything I think I might need. I told him it was all just in case. After the morning hunt we went walking and ended up walking up to one of the ponds. We got into some soft ground around the pond and he sunk knee deep in mud with one leg tried to get out and got his other foot stuck knee deep as well. It was really quite comical but his boots ended up full of water. Now he has to wear wet boots all day. After we finally got him unstuck we were walking back to the truck and he says "guess thats why you bring extra boots huh?" He learned a lesson that day that I bet he won't soon forget. We will find out if he learned anything this weekend when we go back.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This one may sound weird to you, but I've learned over the years to pick hunting partners that are just as passionate about the hunt as you are. Whem I'm going hunting, all I want to think about is hunting, not politics, wives, kids or anything else but deer hunting.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This one may sound weird to you, but I've learned over the years to pick hunting partners that are just as passionate about the hunt as you are. Whem I'm going hunting, all I want to think about is hunting, not politics, wives, kids or anything else but deer hunting.

Amen to that. It seems like my buddies always half ass it expecting me to do all the work. That can get frustrating. Good hunting buddies are hard to come by

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
know the ballistics, trajectory and windage of your bullet choice before you go out. just having the info stored in your head will result in more confident shots regardless of the situation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom