I found a goldmine of prepper/permaculture info.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
At least from what I can tell so far. Just browsed around, seems like there’s a little bit of good stuff about everything on here.
I actually stumbled across the place looking for a good definitive source for designing camping rocket stoves. No dice, but lots of other stuff. Worth a browse.

https://permies.com/forums

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AEF21B32-C736-438D-8F54-E6386BF7BD1D.jpeg

This is a “stove” I built in Arkansas this spring to cook breakfast on for four people. It burns for hours.
You light it at the bottom through the gap.
As it burns, the kindling in the middle drops to the center and creates coals that ignites the bigger surrounding wood.

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, how about that! I like that set up, Dennis!

I've made several of the guys at work rocket stoves out of square tube. Really kind of heavy and awkward to lug around though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, how about that! I like that set up, Dennis!

I've made several of the guys at work rocket stoves out of square tube. Really kind of heavy and awkward to lug around though.
You need nothing but a saw, hatchet and a dry log to make one of those stoves in the pic. I used wire to hold it together because I had some, but one can use vines, or anything like that to bind it together until it burns enough to collapse.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been on Permies for a while. Biggest library of useful info on the subjects I've found. They do a good job of weeding out the political or ideological posts by "purple" permies (Marxist, hippies, koombaya types) and stick with the "brown" permies who are more into the engineering, prepping, science of it.

Dr. Redhawk's threads on soil building are probably the best source of info on the subject anywhere.

https://permies.com/wiki/redhawk-soil

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need nothing but a saw, hatchet and a dry log to make one of those stoves in the pic. I used wire to hold it together because I had some, but one can use vines, or anything like that to bind it together until it burns enough to collapse.
I'm going to make one with my kids here at the house. That's a really simple, yet great design.

We camp and cookout in the yard or pasture when it's nice out.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 249159
This is a “stove” I built in Arkansas this spring to cook breakfast on for four people. It burns for hours.
You light it at the bottom through the gap.
As it burns, the kindling in the middle drops to the center and creates coals that ignites the bigger surrounding wood.
I think that’s called a Swedish fire log? I love how efficient it is, haven’t gotten around to trying one out yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom