I hate all these out of state transplants!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where you going to go if you do?

Folks offered me $80k for my little postage-stamp lot with vintage 63 house in poor condition. Still owe $33k on it, and how am I gonna afford to replace it? I'd need at least $120k. Nobody with any sense would give me that much for it.
That’s the problem. If I sold out, there’s not much chance of me being able to afford a place that offers the same “amenities”.
Same boat here.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s the problem. If I sold out, there’s not much chance of me being able to afford a place that offers the same “amenities”.
True, that. And I need more than I have here. Trying to shoehorn a small machine shop into an 1800sq.ft. house, among other things. Need space for a garden, and sharing the space with 3 kidults. Also, half the income I had before Covid-19. This was supposed to be a starter home, and upgraded or replaced. Was in town to be closer to doctors for the son & wife, too. Teaching career crashed and burned when I got sick, and we're still here. Ain't much, but what the heck, it's home. Told the kids when they were young that home is the place where, when you go there, they have to let you in.

mikec

Marksman
Reaction score
Where you going to go if you do?

Folks offered me $80k for my little postage-stamp lot with vintage 63 house in poor condition. Still owe $33k on it, and how am I gonna afford to replace it? I'd need at least $120k. Nobody with any sense would give me that much for it.
When I was selling real estate, my boss told me use the single idiot theory. There is one out there for everything.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was selling real estate, my boss told me use the single idiot theory. There is one out there for everything.
My house needs rewired, new entry panel, central heat & air plant, etc., Only thing it doesn't need more or less RFN is a roof. And even I'm not stupid enough to buy it now. :)

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seriously don't think so. They've drove the price of land up just like the Chinese. Some of this rocky Hill sides are $10,000 an acre .
I'd like to see ads for said rocky hillsides going for $10K an acre. Here's the thing. I run one of our companies locations in McAlester. I drive all over the SE part of the state from Prague to Stringtown to Wright City to Wister and North up to nearly Salisaw. We cover a huge area. I rent a lot of equipment to Texans who've bought hunting/rec land in some far out, way out of the way locations. I understand why they are doing it. That being said, Texans are sometimes paying a "premium" for some of this land out in the sticks but at the same time much of this land out in the sticks could have been bought by long time Okies for many decades and at very low/fair price, for decades, but they didn't. Now they want to complain that Texans are buying up all the land. The natural cycle of real estate is that prices will always rise and sometimes a bit faster when demand for it is higher. In most cases, real estate is one of the best investments over the long term one can get into.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to see ads for said rocky hillsides going for $10K an acre. Here's the thing. I run one of our companies locations in McAlester. I drive all over the SE part of the state from Prague to Stringtown to Wright City to Wister and North up to nearly Salisaw. We cover a huge area. I rent a lot of equipment to Texans who've bought hunting/rec land in some far out, way out of the way locations. I understand why they are doing it. That being said, Texans are sometimes paying a "premium" for some of this land out in the sticks but at the same time much of this land out in the sticks could have been bought by long time Okies for many decades and at very low/fair price, for decades, but they didn't. Now they want to complain that Texans are buying up all the land. The natural cycle of real estate is that prices will always rise and sometimes a bit faster when demand for it is higher. In most cases, real estate is one of the best investments over the long term one can get into.
The lady realtor 2 miles from me is pricing some of their land at that price.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There’s a 160 acre place 4 miles east and a mile or so north of my place that a whitetail properties realtor has listed for $4250/acre, and it’s nothing but rough land with a big power line running through it. There’s a 400 acre tract for sale a half mile west of my house priced at $5000/acre, and it’s a cow place but is being marketed to hunters.
That being said, I don’t know of anything in my area that has actually sold in the $4-5k range. My place isn’t for sale, but if someone was crazy enough to offer me $5000 an acre, I’d have a really hard time not taking it.:anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom