I hate all these out of state transplants!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sure am confused. Yall are complaining that your land values have jumped up in price?? I understand if you do not have any land and are looking for some. But it sounds like most of you already have some. So, how is that a bad thing?
It has me a bit concerned for my children’s generation. Current trajectory indicates they will have a tough time affording land and/or homes.

Anyone in here have young kids? It’s my goal to own a few properties to have to pass down to my kids. My parents didn’t hand me anything… bootstraps mentality. It worked for my generation, but I think it’s gonna be tough for the next generations. They’re gonna need help if they don’t wind up in high paying careers

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i was at the gas pump the other day when a fella who i know was an illegal alien in the 80's and given citizenship by clinton was complaining about all of the guatamalan who have moved in.
saw this young maybe 16 or 18 year old fella walking down the road wearing safety equipment carrying a backpack full of herbicide the other day. i stopped and rolled down the window to talk to him for a minute but he spoke no inglesh.... i asked one word.....guatamala..... his face lit up and he smiled and nodded.... i wished him a nice day and drove off with a friendly wave.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has me a bit concerned for my children’s generation. Current trajectory indicates they will have a tough time affording land and/or homes.

Anyone in here have young kids? It’s my goal to own a few properties to have to pass down to my kids. My parents didn’t hand me anything… bootstraps mentality. It worked for my generation, but I think it’s gonna be tough for the next generations. They’re gonna need help if they don’t wind up in high paying careers
land values will decline soon i think. i remember an old neighbor who was cutting wheat as a custom harvester during the depression i think. he said that he was offered many thousands of acres of Kansas wheat land if he would just harvest the crop for the farmer. he said that he couldn't afford to take the land for doing the job. things change.... was looking at an old 1930's abstract that had a mortgage recorded for a 1/4 interest in 160 acre for 383 dollars. took almost ten years to pay it off.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
land values will decline soon i think. i remember an old neighbor who was cutting wheat as a custom harvester during the depression i think. he said that he was offered many thousands of acres of Kansas wheat land if he would just harvest the crop for the farmer. he said that he couldn't afford to take the land for doing the job. things change.... was looking at an old 1930's abstract that had a mortgage recorded for a 1/4 interest in 160 acre for 383 dollars. took almost ten years to pay it off.
Grandparents were newlyweds during the Great Depression. They said you could get a 50 pound sack of hominy for a nickel, if you could get the nickel. That would feed them for a couple of weeks. When their first kid, my Uncle Bob, was born, the doc wanted something like $2 in cash for the the delivery, in 1933. They didn't have it, so he took the hand-tatted lace doily's my grandma had made as a down payment. When they wandered back though Grand Junction several years later, with money in their pockets, and stopped to pay him the rest of what he owed, he charged them $11.50, IIRC, the then current rate for a delivery. They were a bit miffed, but also paid up. Didn't get the doily's back, either.

The reason he had money to pay was having sold his chicken farm in Michigan. He got paid $10,000 for it. That would have been around 1942 or so.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a great great aunt that bought a farm with eggs and milk. they couldn't eat the farm i guess? there is a book out there titled "The Worst hard time"i think anyway.. good reading for todays generation

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
saw this young maybe 16 or 18 year old fella walking down the road wearing safety equipment carrying a backpack full of herbicide the other day. i stopped and rolled down the window to talk to him for a minute but he spoke no inglesh.... i asked one word.....guatamala..... his face lit up and he smiled and nodded.... i wished him a nice day and drove off with a friendly wave.
but that all is ok. gives the boys around here more time to play ball.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

What are you considering “young kids”?
I think it may be a little tougher on the younger generation, but if they want it bad enough and are willing to work for it, I think land and homes are attainable just like for my generation.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I think a lot of parents on this forum and in general, what to be able to preserve or build wealth they can pass down to their children. My wife and I sure do for our son. I disagree that our children will have a tough time owning homes and our something with acreage attached to it. Parents that want to be able to pass down "higher ticket" assets to their children have to take some responsibility in doing the right thing while instilling ethics and values into their children. And, the children need to take responsibility for their actions and their futures. The kids don't need to go to college to live the American dream by owning homes and land but they do need to, at least, do decently in high school and whatever continuing education they do post high school. Whether that's trade school, tech school, four year college or start a profitable small business. Generally, you'll get out of life what you put into it. There are plenty of people that got into the trades that have done spectacularly well. And most that have applied themselves and made good decisions should be able to afford a nice home and possibly with some acreage (if they so choose) in OK.

What I get tired of hearing are those folks (not necessarily you, Ready Aim Fire) that barely graduated high school, didn't always make the best decisions growing up, didn't instill a mindset in their children to succeed and wound up with kids that didn't pull their heads our of the azzes until they were in their late 20's or early 30's and are making $15-$20/hours when in their 40's and 50's. These individuals then complain that higher value assest like homes and acreage are too expensive because out-of-staters are pushing up the price of said assets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom