I need a new electric fillet knife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you guys happen to have a particular electric fillet knife that you'd want to brag on? Just thinking about getting a cheap Black & Decker. I saw one of the guides down at Texhoma using one, but I thought I'd get some input from you guys first. I bought a Berkely 12 volt knife at Walmart, but it's a piece of crap. Has a hard time slicing through butter.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a rapala one at Bass Pro. It was 45, but beats the hell out of the Walmart American Anglers and Mister Twisters.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried the electric knife a couple of times, and just felt like I was wasting meat. Cold steel is my choice.
On the other hand my fishing buddy can fillet them so fast with an electric, that I have a hard time keeping up with him just cutting the ribs out.

Muleman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've tried several different ones from the high-dollar ($35-$45) name brands to the cheap ones ($10-$15), but it seems that the longest any of them last is about a year. I think the biggest problem is, that once the blades get dull from cutting through the ribs, the motors start getting hot and eventually get weak. I've tried to re-sharpen those serrated blades but I never can get them to cut like when they were new.
Once you get used to electric it's the only way to go. The last time I tried using my old fixed blade fillet knife I butchered em'. Talk about wasting meat.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can tell you I have used a few electric fillet knife. I have tossed some before they even wear out. A couple I have worn out. The Rapala Saltwater series is JUNK. I would have to go look in the shop to see what I have thrown to the back. I keep a couple up front and handy that are dandy. When I have 50-60 sand bass and hybrid, I don't have time to piddle. If I can fillet and bone a fish in under a minute with the electric, it gets tossed. I used to think keeping a 2nd knife out to alternate between to keep motor cool would help, but its always the plastic gears that give up first. The Saltwater series was touted as having metal gears, but if I remember correctly that sucker was so slow I tossed it before I finished that mess of fish. I don't mess with sharpening the blades, when you can buy replacements for around 8 bucks, its not worth a half hour of my time. They go to the garage sale at a buck a pair. I have heard of some guides that use the Black and Decker bread knifes that have a handle instead of the whole motor housing being the grip. I have thought on more than one occasion to borrow my mothers bread knife to see how well it served double duty, but figured it would safer it I didn't.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to go through electric knives about once a year as well. Pretty sure that I just buy the cheapies, but that isn't something that I care to sink a bunch of money into. I think the one I have right now is a GE brand. It is on season #4! Never had a single problem with it, and it has cleaned many many crappie and catfish. It came with meat blades and bread blades. I think it was two years before I figured out the bread blades did a much better job for some reason. My only complaint is that the handle is a little bulky, kinda big around, but other than that, it works like a champ. I'm sure if I bought another one just like it, it would probably work about 4 months and peter out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom