I Need A New Roof - 65 Squares Worth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Insurance Company did a partial settlement with me a couple of months ago. I have been trying to find a good line of TAMKO shingles but they are waaaay behind in shipping). I did find a source for Certainteed Brand Laminate IR (Impact Resistant) which look very good, though they are $105 per square, vice the TAMKO at $85. Insurance Company does offer an 18% Premium Discount on IR shingles. I 'hope' that this is the last roof that we have to put on the house (I am almost 64) and this will be the 5th roof in 32 years. I guess the question is should I wait (no roof leaks) and hope there is no price increase on the TAMKO's or just go with the Certainteed Brand? Anyone have experience with either brand? Thanx for any ideas .......

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got Tamko Heritage 30 year Black Walnut on my house and they have done well, about 90 square if I remember correctly. Anyway, they look good and have weathered in even better, none lost even with all the high winds we've had over the past few years. I'd go with Thunderstorm Grey if I had it to do over, but color is obviously a personal choice.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a builder we use lots of different shingles. Both of those should be fine. Personally, I dont think the premium is worth it for the impact resistance shingles, unless one is picking them because they prefer the look. Here in OK, you will likely be replacing them anyways before you are paid back on the difference. I would rather have a new roof than a worn and slightly damaged one that insurance thinks is ok.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I used to sell roofing, and I preferred the GAF/Elk shingles for a better look and, durability.

I did several homes in The Village two years ago, and this recent storm didn't hurt them at all.

If you go with the IR shingles, get the premium discount in writing before you spend the extra cash.

The good thing about IR, is if your roof is damaged again, and has to be replaced, the insurance will pay to replace with IR again.

If you wait too long, and leaks develop, your insurance won't cover the damage from the leaks.

A couple of things to remember are, if your roof is not installed properly, and if you don't have adequate attic ventilation, the Oklahoma wind and sun will really shorten the life of your shingles.

Good luck!

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Certainteed 30 year were what we put on our last home several years ago. We had 3 roofs done in 25 years. One we had to pay out-of-pocket because insurance comp was an a$$. Good luck.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Certainteed 30 year were what we put on our last home several years ago. We had 3 roofs done in 25 years. One we had to pay out-of-pocket because insurance comp was an a$$. Good luck.

If you mean the insurance adjuster was an a$$, you can always call the home office and request another adjuster.

I have had up to 3 adjusters come out on some roofs before the customer was satisfied.

The insurance is basically making you an offer for your old roof with Actual Cash Value (ACV) coverage, and an offer for your old roof plus costs to replace it with, Comprehensive (Full) coverage.

You don't have to accept their offer!

I have helped many people get their roof paid for when the adjuster said they didn't qualify.

A good roofing company will meet with the adjuster so that there is someone there looking out for the homeowner.

It benefits the homeowner and the roofing company to make sure all loss is compensated.

Contrary to popular belief, don't wait for your insurance to treat you right, before you get your roofing company involved.

That being said, of course, don't just trust any roofer to look out for your best interest.

Do your due diligence when selecting anyone to restore your home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom