I Need A New Roof - 65 Squares Worth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great thread...I turned in claims on 5 houses and am a little concerned on how I will be treated by the insurance Company (State Farm)...also, glad to see recommendations on what shingles...

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Great thread...I turned in claims on 5 houses and am a little concerned on how I will be treated by the insurance Company (State Farm)...also, glad to see recommendations on what shingles...

In my experience, State Farm took very good care of their customers who had roof damage.

Always call the home office instead of your local agent, to file a claim. Agents have nothing to do with the claims process, and can give very bad advice, and screw things up.

Some roofing companies will have you file a claim, when their isn't enough damage to justify doing so, hoping they will get lucky and have an easy adjuster.

I only recommended customers call their insurance carriers when I knew that they had enough damage to justify a claim.

I have seen several adjusters deny a claim for the homeowner, then when we were called, and met with the adjuster to check for damage, the roof would be totaled out by the new adjuster.

If you ask for a second adjustment, always request a different adjuster. People hate to admit they were wrong.

It is a very good idea to have a roofing company, that you trust, meet with the adjuster, if not, you may have to start the process all over again.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a builder we use lots of different shingles. Both of those should be fine. Personally, I dont think the premium is worth it for the impact resistance shingles, unless one is picking them because they prefer the look. Here in OK, you will likely be replacing them anyways before you are paid back on the difference. I would rather have a new roof than a worn and slightly damaged one that insurance thinks is ok.
The payback on IR shingles is very short in my case. I am building a new house and wasn't aware of the discount until after it had been roofed so I missed out. My payback would have been less than 2 years. I definitely think these are the way to go depending on the discount and price of course.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
65 sq? Good God, man...adopt me! We just finished putting a new roof on our house 2 weeks ago. I think Tamko and Certainteed both make great products and you'll be hard pressed to find a lot of difference between them. I researched shingles a bit before deciding what to get and noticed there are some people who complain about GAF shingles tar / cement. I think if you ask 10 different professional roofers what they prefer..you'll probably get 10 different answers.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Price increases 10% on Monday ......... So, I am ordering the Certainteed Shingles tomorrow - thanx for all of the input. Heck, even managed a 3% Discount for not using the CC. Roofer will install in early July ...... Storms 'should' be past by then. Just hope this the 'last' roof for quite while ...... :)

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have retired from construction, but I can refer anyone here to a reputable contractor I used to work with.

I can be involved in any meetings to make sure you are satisfied, if you wish.

PM me if I can help.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Tamco Heritage 25 laminated roof on my house and it lasted for the better part of 20 years. Finally started leaking in several places. I don't even know how many hail storms it went through but none were really like what we've had around here of late. I went with GAF/Elk IR shingles this time and I made sure the roofer used all the matching underlayment too. Honestly the cost wasn't that much different, but that was 2 or 3 years ago.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have retired from construction, but I can refer anyone here to a reputable contractor I used to work with.

I can be involved in any meetings to make sure you are satisfied, if you wish.

PM me if I can help.

Thanx for the offer ....I will contact you if I run into an issue ......... Appreciate it

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
pinkhamr said:
Insurance Company did a partial settlement with me a couple of months ago. I have been trying to find a good line of TAMKO shingles but they are waaaay behind in shipping). I did find a source for Certainteed Brand Laminate IR (Impact Resistant) which look very good, though they are $105 per square, vice the TAMKO at $85. Insurance Company does offer an 18% Premium Discount on IR shingles. I 'hope' that this is the last roof that we have to put on the house (I am almost 64) and this will be the 5th roof in 32 years. I guess the question is should I wait (no roof leaks) and hope there is no price increase on the TAMKO's or just go with the Certainteed Brand? Anyone have experience with either brand? Thanx for any ideas .......

If you went with a metal roof 30 years ago it would have been your last, there's something to think about...

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanx Rebelracer ...... We did price both the steel and aluminum shingle roofs ...... $34K is more then I want to spend at this point in my life ..... I do agree, they make for great roofs in our area .... just to dang pricey these days ......

Latest posts

Top Bottom