i sent this letter my sheriff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akgriffin

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Morning Sheriff,
My name is Charles Griffin, i am a citizen of McAlester and i would like to talk to you about officer/citizen interactions. Last month there was a shooting in Arvada Colorado where a gunman killed an officer then was killed by a armed citizen, then the good guy was shot by a responding officer. Here is a link to one news link on it. Bystander who shot gunman dead but was then killed by police hailed as hero | Colorado | The Guardian The question i want to ask is has there been any training or discussion with the officers of this county on the possibility of this happening in this town? I understand wearing a badge is fun, fulfilling but stressful job but with Oklahoma being a constitutional carry state and people trying to protect themselves there could be a incident like this here. I want to thank you for your time and attention.

I sent this to my sheriff and my city police chief, i have never heard of LEO's talking about this in any setting so with as many people carry to protect themselves it should be brought up.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Morning Sheriff,
My name is Charles Griffin, i am a citizen of McAlester and i would like to talk to you about officer/citizen interactions. Last month there was a shooting in Arvada Colorado where a gunman killed an officer then was killed by a armed citizen, then the good guy was shot by a responding officer. Here is a link to one news link on it. Bystander who shot gunman dead but was then killed by police hailed as hero | Colorado | The Guardian The question i want to ask is has there been any training or discussion with the officers of this county on the possibility of this happening in this town? I understand wearing a badge is fun, fulfilling but stressful job but with Oklahoma being a constitutional carry state and people trying to protect themselves there could be a incident like this here. I want to thank you for your time and attention.

I sent this to my sheriff and my city police chief, i have never heard of LEO's talking about this in any setting so with as many people carry to protect themselves it should be brought up.

I think the learning and discussion needs to go both ways. I'd say situational awareness is something to think about here from a CCW standpoint.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If this is off topic I apologize. But the story states,

"Troyke then armed himself with an AR-15 and ran towards the town square. A bystander, John Hurley, 40, drew a handgun and shot Troyke dead.
Hurley picked up Troyke’s weapon. The Arvada police chief, Link Strate, said what happened next was “tragic”."

Is there a reason for Hurley to pick up Troyke's AR? And then be holding it when other officers arrived? I'm not sure of procedure, but wouldn't it be better to just kick the weapon out of reach if you didn't know the person was dead or not.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree with @JD8 and comments above. IMO, when it was safe, he should have had his gun AT LEAST holstered and his hands in the air. I have no idea why he'd pick up bad guy's gun. But, it's hard to predict what one would do after being pumped full of adrenaline and stress.

I've thought about similar situations like this where there may be multiple good guy concealed carriers (it is OK after all). It would be very difficult to assess good and bad in a lot of scenarios.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the learning and discussion needs to go both ways. I'd say situational awareness is something to think about here from a CCW standpoint.
Agreed…I am not a fan of the constitutional carry. I feel that if you are allowed to carry a firearm, there should be a mandatory license to do so. If people are required to go through the process of licensing, then at the very least, you know they will understand that your finger is your primary safety, and the end with the hole is the hot end.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If this is off topic I apologize. But the story states,

"Troyke then armed himself with an AR-15 and ran towards the town square. A bystander, John Hurley, 40, drew a handgun and shot Troyke dead.
Hurley picked up Troyke’s weapon. The Arvada police chief, Link Strate, said what happened next was “tragic”."

Is there a reason for Hurley to pick up Troyke's AR? And then be holding it when other officers arrived? I'm not sure of procedure, but wouldn't it be better to just kick the weapon out of reach if you didn't know the person was dead or not.
Good point

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree with @JD8 and comments above. IMO, when it was safe, he should have had his gun AT LEAST holstered and his hands in the air. I have no idea why he'd pick up bad guy's gun. But, it's hard to predict what one would do after being pumped full of adrenaline and stress.

I've thought about similar situations like this where there may be multiple good guy concealed carriers (it is OK after all). It would be very difficult to assess good and bad in a lot of scenarios.
Probably seen too many ‘Cops ‘n Robbers’ movies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom