I want a Ruger Precision in .223 "change my mind"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read somewhere about savage rifles and testing in house before the gun leaves there to go to the consumer.
A person from Savage wrote.
“For whatever reason—a perfect blend of dimensions, or just voodoo—the inherent accuracy of the 6.5 Creedmoor is astonishing. Savage Arms’ Bill Dermody told me that they test every rifle they build for accuracy. For years, the most accurate cartridge across the board was the .308 Winchester. Now it’s the 6.5 Creedmoor.”

Read it here.
https://www.range365.com/savage-introduces-9-rifles-in-65-creedmoor

So either way you should have a very accurate round.
Would I go .308 NO.
I have a couple .308 rifles and for some odd reason my .223 can out shoot it to 300 yards and many times 400.
Knock down at 300-400 is not up to par with .308 though.
No custom barrels on my guns either just factory savage barrels and no special bolts or machining to the barrel or bolt.

SO I would like to try the 6.5 creedmoor just once and see if it is all it is hyped up to be.

So is this topic now flipped to: Help me decide between .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor.
With all the store .308 ammo I have shot and seen many others shoot at the range I would not want a .308 If I had to shoot store ammo.
I have never seen quality match ammo shot though just Remington, Federal and Winchester wally world lower shelf stuff and NOT impressed Not Sub moa at all.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read somewhere about savage rifles and testing in house before the gun leaves there to go to the consumer.
A person from Savage wrote.
“For whatever reason—a perfect blend of dimensions, or just voodoo—the inherent accuracy of the 6.5 Creedmoor is astonishing. Savage Arms’ Bill Dermody told me that they test every rifle they build for accuracy. For years, the most accurate cartridge across the board was the .308 Winchester. Now it’s the 6.5 Creedmoor.”

Read it here.
https://www.range365.com/savage-introduces-9-rifles-in-65-creedmoor

So either way you should have a very accurate round.
Would I go .308 NO.
I have a couple .308 rifles and for some odd reason my .223 can out shoot it to 300 yards and many times 400.
Knock down at 300-400 is not up to par with .308 though.
No custom barrels on my guns either just factory savage barrels and no special bolts or machining to the barrel or bolt.

SO I would like to try the 6.5 creedmoor just once and see if it is all it is hyped up to be.

So is this topic now flipped to: Help me decide between .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor.
With all the store .308 ammo I have shot and seen many others shoot at the range I would not want a .308 If I had to shoot store ammo.
I have never seen quality match ammo shot though just Remington, Federal and Winchester wally world lower shelf stuff and NOT impressed Not Sub moa at all.

@ Swampratt, With your reloading ability you can get any 6.5 platform to shoot good. The 6.5 CM is the round for those that don’t reload. There is a plethora of match ammo out there for it but as you know you can squeeze more juice out of your reloads. I went the 260 route because I already load for it and I think I can get a little bit more out of a 260 than a 6.5CM

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is all good information. I was leaning toward 308 but actually I may or may not have a Remington 700 LTR in 308 that makes me look like a good shot. However the remy 700 does not look nearly as cool as the RPR. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom