I want a Ruger Precision in .223 "change my mind"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The army is going to go to a different caliber, then your 223 won’t be worth squat. Just like when the FBI switched to 9mm, nobody had a use for the 40 anymore.

I tried. Just get it!!!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need to start reloading your own ammo to take advantage of the added accuracy you will get.
I remember you were looking for a threaded .223 barrel for a 700 then deleted the want.
You also asked about the most accurate or reliable ammo in .223.
Leads me to believe you do not reload.

My savage axis bolt action sub $250 rifles with store ammo do not look good on paper with store bought ammo.
Good to me is under 1" at 200 yards.

One of the downfalls of that ammo is .223 or 5.56 store ammo is loaded to a short over all length.
Short enough to fit into a standard AR magazine.
Right there accuracy suffers and that Ruger Precision Rifle has a fast twist that is just calling for a longer bullet and the magazines will handle much longer bullet than the AR magazine.

If you run store ammo through it then it is not much better than just about any bolt rifle at 1/2 the cost.

But if you are the guy that put the fake braided hoses and chrome bling on your stock cam NON ported head "slow" car in high school to impress all your buddies then you are the guy that needs this .223 rifle because it has a lot of bling and you must like bling.

But if you are the guy that pulled your heads off while living in an apartment and ported them with a black and decker drill in the floor with news papers strung out and washed them off in the bathtub before you reinstalled them 3 hours later then you would not be here asking this question because you would have tweaked a current .223 gun in your possession to out shoot this Ruger.

Now I am confused if you should get it or not.
My savage axis .223 has shot under 1" at 300 yards for 3 shots. Hunting gun and it cost me $150.
Shot 5 shots all touching at 100 when I went shooting with MoBoost.
It takes 1 shot to kill anything I have shot at and never let me down. From small crow to 400+ lb hog.

Would I get the Ruger in .223 ? NO.
Too heavy, Too expensive for a .223 and I do not care for bling.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some reading on the 20" barrel on this gun as being a slow barrel and a primer cratering issue and ruger's answer to what is the exact chamber.

page 2 is all I have read.
That is enough reading for me to say eeehhh I think I would look elswhere.

Mostly because it is a slow barrel.
I have read that when researching this Ruger.

https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/223-version-of-the-rpr.6334691/page-2

My 22" Ruger American in .308 is not much faster than my Savage 18" in .308.
My savage has the same twist rate but is fast for an 18" barrel and or the 22" Ruger is slow.
Kind of defeats the purpose of the long barrel.
You decide.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Talk you out of it....? Ummmmmm....you want a RPR in .223? Why would you? I mean, that caliber is soooo deadly! It's used in those eeeeeeevil guns and your gonna put the evil caliber in a rifle with the name precision in it?? Oh my gosh. What the hell are you thinking. Maybe you aren't. Must be a Trump supporter wanting a precision deadly weapon like that. Dont do it! The rifle is black and we all know black kills harder. Don't even get me started on the massive clip that hangs out the bottom of a RPR. Adjustable buttstock? That must be so it can be concealed. Not to mention the rail on the top so you can mount laser beams and zoom scopes that will be so deadly. The threaded barrel pretty much is silenter than everything. Bolt action? Oh that sounds horrible.

Did it work??

Latest posts

Top Bottom