I want to start reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have read a lot of advice about starting with a single stage and then going to progressive and it isn't bad advice. I also think that one could start with the progressive and do well. With the 550 you can take one case all the way around without starting another one. I do this when setting dies on my 550. I recently upgraded my 550 to the "B" version and the plate for the powder rod raised the shellplate .060" and I am having to reset all of the dies on my tool heads.

I started with a rockcrusher kit and several years later got the 550. Even if you have a 550 I think that you would want to have a single stage press for many different reasons. If you buy a new gun that you don't have a shellplate for you could get dies and start loading for it before your conversion kits came. You could even decap before polishing with a single stage and a universal decapping die. There are other uses for another press to compliment the Dillon. I am weighing the usefulness of a Lee Hand press so I could decap in my easy chair. What I am saying is that you might start with the Dillon and get the single stage later.

L

LenBob

OK, as some of you know I had recently decided to get a Dillon 550B press. Was talking with my Dad the other day and I mentioned my desire to start reloading. Much to my surprise, he says he's been want'n to start reloading for his 30-30 and 22-250 and that he'll go halves with me on a new press. So I show him all the research I've been doin on presses and then let him watch some u-tube videos of various makes and models. Later on he tells me he likes the Dillon XL 650. OK? So yesterday I'm paging through the OS Classifieds and I find a listing for some Dillon XL 650 conversion kits and they just happen to be in 30-30 and 22-250. So, I decide to leave it up to chance and make an offer. Ten minutes later; offer accepted! Talk about your perfect storm; I just laughed and said "It's a sign; God wants me to have a Dillon XL-650!" :thumbup3:

P.S. If you ever get a chance to meet or deal with TulsaDave2003; do so because he is a great guy! Poor man stood out there in 110 degree heat for a half-hour answering all my stupid questions. Thanks David! (I tried to leave good feedback but for some reason I don't have feedback privelages yet)?

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Luckily I started with the Hornady LNL w/ a case feeder. I was almost swayed by the don't buy a progessive crowd. I couldn't be happier with a progressive. I had full intentions of loading .223, but when it dropped to $300 per K I stocked up. Loading rifle is much more work than pistol and a single stage might not be out of the question for the rifle loads. You have much more on the line with a bullet going over 3200 FPS than 1000 FPS of pistol ammo.
If you shoot more than a few K per year you will appreciate a progressive press.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have read a lot of advice about starting with a single stage and then going to progressive and it isn't bad advice. I also think that one could start with the progressive and do well. With the 550 you can take one case all the way around without starting another one. I do this when setting dies on my 550. I recently upgraded my 550 to the "B" version and the plate for the powder rod raised the shellplate .060" and I am having to reset all of the dies on my tool heads.

I started with a rockcrusher kit and several years later got the 550. Even if you have a 550 I think that you would want to have a single stage press for many different reasons. If you buy a new gun that you don't have a shellplate for you could get dies and start loading for it before your conversion kits came. You could even decap before polishing with a single stage and a universal decapping die. There are other uses for another press to compliment the Dillon. I am weighing the usefulness of a Lee Hand press so I could decap in my easy chair. What I am saying is that you might start with the Dillon and get the single stage later.

This is great advice. Essentially from the time I got my first 550B, I was on the hunt for a single stage to do "other" operations on. Lots of "other" operations!

Latest posts

Top Bottom