Ibuprophen for sore throat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This may not be news to anyone, but it was to me. I've had a sore, raw throat for few days. Last night it was so slick I didn't want to get out. My gal gave me 800 mg of Ibuprophen, not Tylenol, in 30 mins I was dam near cured. Could not believe the difference. So impressed I had to share. I have never heard of this.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Downside of ibuprofin is that it's hard on the kidneys & liver. I took ibuprofin a lot prior to kidney transplant (it was not the cause of my kidneys failing) but now take only Tylenol for pain. Indian Health Service gives out 800 mg ibuprofin tablets by the bucketful.

Cedar Creek

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Acetaminophen is a pain reliever and a fever reducer. Got pain not caused by inflammation use this.
Alternatively Aspirin

Ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body. Pain because something is swollen use this.
Alternatives include Naproxen and Ketoprofen.

Right drug for the right condition helps.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years ago I had strep so bad I ended up in the ER due to dehydration from not being able to drink (or eat). After 2 drip bag IVs, theywrote up two scripts, one of which Lortab. I've never heard of Lortab for a sore throat, but wasn't able to test it since I prefer to tough out pain when I can because I don't like pain killers.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years ago I had strep so bad I ended up in the ER due to dehydration from not being able to drink (or eat). After 2 drip bag IVs, theywrote up two scripts, one of which Lortab. I've never heard of Lortab for a sore throat, but wasn't able to test it since I prefer to tough out pain when I can because I don't like pain killers.

Lortab contains hydrocodone which aside from being an effective pain killer in commbination with acetamenophen is also a cough supressant.

I have an emergency stash of lortab from my doctor since I have kidney stones. Last time I had bronchitis doc told me to use them for cough supression.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gargle with salt water to help heal the throat.
Glad your feeling better.

Yes...Ibuprofen is a COX-2 inhibitor and very bad for your liver and kidneys...It works similar to steroids to reduce inflammation...However, inflammation is the response of the immune system to attack the infection. All it did was stop your SYMPTOMS and did NOTHING to fight the infection. Gargling with warm salt water 3x per day kills the infection AND reduces inflammation so you get some relief from the pain too. Another way to KILL a throat infection is to put some super strength P73 oregano oil on it...expensive and burns like heck but it works good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom