If THIS indoor match were held, I'd shoot it!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I want to shoot THIS indoor match:

• Total voters

shootingbuff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand that some people are unhappy with the round count. No one has told ME, but I've heard from others that this is a topic of discussion.

If I ran an IDPA match, the round count would be LOWER than what it has been. I haven't had anything less than 50 rds and usually it's 60 rds or greater. So would the low round count still get complaints?

Is it the contrast of the (perceived) low round count to the $20 entry fee? Would folks NOT complain if the match fee were $15? (the $50 gift certificate would be but a fond memory, and some cool props would never be made...)

I appreciate everyone who has voted, thanks !

Being an outsider I took the question at face value. So doing I would take TSA.

sb

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's an update as to what I've been thinking....

Based on comments here and elsewhere, lamenting that there is not currently an IDPA match in the OKC area, it was my expectation that IDPA would be the runaway choice in the poll. Surprisingly, at least to me, it was not.

I had stated several times on this forum that _I_ would not run an IDPA match. This is based on some of their outright stupid rules that I'd have to enforce if I paid to be affiliad with IDPA. As I gave the matter more thought, I determined that I could bypass most of the stupid rules by stage design. As time passed and due to the fact that the IDPA Nationals are in Tulsa (and may be held there for several more years) I decided that I would be open to running an IDPA club.

I called IDPA HQ to find out what I'd have to do to become officially affiliated. There are a couple hoops to jump thru, along with sending them money, but I was willing to do that.

However.........

Just prior to me calling IDPA HQ, I had received a call from a customer about making some IDPA-legal gear for him and I told him "this way is legal, that way is not." So, after I received the club affiliation info, I asked about the gear legality, mainly to confirm what I already knew, since I was looking at the rulebook at the time of the previous call, reading verbatim the rule that would apply to his gear.

As the old joke goes, "Not so fast, Mahoney...."

The nice lady I originally asked the question of was unable to answer my question, so she gave me to someone who presumably makes the rulebook interpretations and decisions.

Long story short, the written rule isn't the real rule. IE; they didn't mean what they wrote. No, they meant something else entirely. I immediately envisioned a situation where I'd have to tell someone their gear wasn't legal and then he'd show me the rule that said it did, indeed, comply with the rule. I'd have to say, "I know, but that's not what they meant. They meant to say this instead. Your gear complies with what they wrote, but not with what they now say they meant...."

Well, I'm just not going to do that. I refuse to place myself in a position where I have to tell someone that the written rule isn't what the actual rule is, but that it's something else altogether.

There may be a slim chance that this person at IDPA HQ misspoke and I'll clarify that following the Nationals. Should they tell me the rule they wrote is what they meant, then I'll reconsider forming an IDPA club. Until then, no.

Looking at the poll, I am surprised by the number of votes IPSC/USPSA received. This is an indoor range, which is rather limiting in and of itself. This particular one, while very nice, isn't especially wide, further limiting the stage design. IPSC shooters want a high round count and honestly, I don't think I can provide that for very long without folks getting tired of 6 rds for every target.

Looking at the rest of the results, 11 votes for carry gun, 7 for IDPA and 2 for Tactical. These 3 share many similar elements between them. If we add them together, we have 20, vs. 10 for IPSC vs. 1 for Bullseye.

So I'm going to go with my original premise: Have a match where the IPSC shooter (and anyone else) can shoot their CARRY GUN in a competitive environment. I've been shooting my Kimber Compact Aluminum Stainless and having a blast :D with it. Prior to the inception of this match, it had been a very long time since I shot it at all, much less competitively using a practical, concealable holster and mag pouches. It makes sense to hone one's skills with one's actual carry gun, don't you think?

In an attempt to elicit more participation by shooters using a practical gun and holster from concealment, the first $50 Gift Certificate will go to one of those shooters! The rest of the certificates will be random draw.

I don't want to make too big a deal about the IDPA exchange, but I thought you might be interested in what I've been thinking and why.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Cool, exactly what I hoped the match would be. My offer of letting someone shoot my Glock 26 or PM9 (got concealment holsters for both) if you provide or purchase the ammo from me at my cost. I've even got a snubbie you can shoot and 3 slow loaders for it. Tried that the first match and didn't fare too well myself. :) I'd like to do it again if we have the course set up for 5 shots and a few other shooters in the same category.

Latest posts

Top Bottom