Illinois flies (fly fishing)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok fella's I need some ideas, I was down there a couple of weeks ago and got skunked! I'll be headed back that way the 15th for a much needed weekend away and would like to hear what everyone is having luck with? yeah I know powerbait right :thumb: last time I was down there had good luck on my little tan mico jigs nothing on wooly buggers :-O and well I'm not good with tying those ity bity flies (16 and under) my fingers are too big or something LOL any ideas would be sweet! Later,

Kirk

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got me some of those and they don't work all that well (the flip-ups) I thin I'm going to go with the reading glasses! funny just had my eyes checked and they were 20/20 but something about a 7x tippet and those little hook eyes I just can't get my finders to work tying the knots. I went and tried some redfish Saturday and boys I need to just quit being so cheap and get a charter I about sunk to China in the marshes! first couple of times not so bad but there was that one time I sunk up to the boys! scared the crap out of me :shocked:

I'll give those scuds a try! my flight doesn't land until 9:00 on the 15th but it's straight to Mar-Val from there I might be able to tie a couple IF I can remember how! I guess I better look it up. Are you using a strike indicator? if so about how deep are you fishing them? just getting back into the flyfishing after being out of it a few years, my little brother has picked it up so it's nice to have someone to go with. Later,

Kirk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just a wannabe fly fisherman, and have full glasses. Still have a prob on the small flies.
Porter, and a couple of others would be the experts on this thread.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got me some of those and they don't work all that well (the flip-ups) I thin I'm going to go with the reading glasses! funny just had my eyes checked and they were 20/20 but something about a 7x tippet and those little hook eyes I just can't get my finders to work tying the knots. I went and tried some redfish Saturday and boys I need to just quit being so cheap and get a charter I about sunk to China in the marshes! first couple of times not so bad but there was that one time I sunk up to the boys! scared the crap out of me :shocked:

I'll give those scuds a try! my flight doesn't land until 9:00 on the 15th but it's straight to Mar-Val from there I might be able to tie a couple IF I can remember how! I guess I better look it up. Are you using a strike indicator? if so about how deep are you fishing them? just getting back into the flyfishing after being out of it a few years, my little brother has picked it up so it's nice to have someone to go with. Later,

Kirk

Yes, fish them below an indicator. Tie them on a beadhead. You'll probably have to use a small shot as well to get them in the strike zone. As far as depth goes, I usually put my indicator about twice the depth or a fraction less than the water I'm fishing. Remember, if you're not getting hung up on the bottom once in a while, you're not fishing deep enough. Good luck, and post some pics if you get a chance.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will do and thanks for the info! I hope I have some beadheads small enough if not I think I still have a mess of splits I can get on there to get them down. I'm thinking I may need to purchase one of the lighted magnifiers to tie with that could help out with the smaller flies I've just always been too cheap to get one.

Again fella's thanks for the info! Later,

Kirk

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've gotta get that set of magnifiers that clip onto the bill of a ballcap.:bah:

I'm screwed if I forget mine, especially if I try to tie on something small. Ksmirk, try some midges under an indicator. If you got skunked, might be where you were fishing. Fishing close to the bottom is best but it depends on what I'm fishing. I've haven't been in quite awhile so I don't even know what the flow is like. It was really low when they were not generating last time I was there which makes a couple of spots I fish unproductive. Also the magnifier I use I got from Bass pro, it works is all that matters to me.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to go at least 1 weekend a month, I'd just stay at Mar-Val fish there in the camp the move down the river when I fished all the places I normally caught fish from but this was back in 06, things have changed! used to a #14 olive wooly buger would catch anything in the river or the little #16 bead head jigs I would tie if they didn't hit the buggers so you can imagine what I had in my box, buggers and micro jigs! I guess I need to get to tying something else to have some assortment.

All of the places I used to fish are gone or should I say have really changed but I guess it's a river and that's going to happen, the flow was light until they started generating then I just call it quits for the day or head downstream until I run out of river.

Looks like they are sending me back to Patterson, La after my week home so I might just bring the tying goodies and get a mess of stuff tied since I really don't start fishing until the first of Nov when the summer people are gone and I can have the place to myself pretty much, I miss it when Mark and Val owned the place but hey times change.

What size midges? if you don't mind me asking. Later,

Kirk

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd try small, 18, 20. I only suggested them because of the year around hatches of midges. I use them occassionally.I've fished there quite a lot and always catch fish. Haven't been able to go much lately maybe once last month, no big fish either. If it's not busy try above Marvals at Watts, go upstream to the riffle run and pool. If it is populated, get in your vehicle and go upstream to the turn in going to the power house. Depending on the flow a couple hundred yard stretch below the fall has some good spots. You can also go upstrem from the parking lot and fish a few spots. Behind the island use to be really productive but it isn't the same anymore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom