I'm contemplating taking up deer hunting again....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it just idiots with guns?

I hunt Public land and I tow a trailer behind a car so yes I suppose.

It is just a big squirrel.
You can lay it on it's side and cut the hide down the middle of the back and peel it over towards the legs and remove all meat.
No need for a large work area.
Put meat in ice chest and take home and process.

I have offered this up every year.
Offer.
I have a meat grinder and can grind and show you how to package the meat for free.
I will help package and you must buy the saran wrap and freezer paper and tape though.

I have large tables to make things easier.
It really is not difficult.
I like to soak my deer meat in water and remove the blood first though.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious on this thought of public land hunting. I was thinking of doing my first deer hunt here on public land and seen this comment a few times. Is it just idiots with guns? I never had a problem with public land when I lived in Alaska
Idiots with guns? Yes. I’m out there all the time.

Honestly, it can be. First few days of deer gun season you can go just outside the local public land and listen to what sounds like a war zone at times. I don’t typically go out during deer gun season, I don’t feel like getting shot at. I did go out a few days during antlerless holiday gun season last year, and didn’t see a soul. I also didn’t see any deer.

Outside of the big hunting seasons public land is pretty peaceful. I’ll hunt hogs, squirrels, and rabbits year around/during their respective seasons and I rarely see anyone. Typically if I do see someone it’s some kids out dumping trash or getting their trucks muddy.
No offense of course lol, have you had a lot of success in public land? I’m newish to the area
I’ve had mixed results. Only been hunting actively for about 2-3 years now, almost exclusively public land. I’m not expert, I’m having to teach myself how to hunt simply by learning off the internet and burning through boots. I managed to jump shoot my first duck last year (no decoys, dog, blind, anything), and have taken lots of squirrels and rabbits. I see tons of deer, mostly on archery only land, outside of deer season. Seen lots of hogs, most of them are on private land bordering the public land or on public land where you can’t shoot them. They’re especially wary of people because they get pressured pretty hard on public land.

At the end of the day it’s free and a great escape from life, there’s tons of land in the state to go to as well. Right now I’m at canton lake, I can drop the boat in the lake and fish when it’s hot, and try my luck on the public land surrounding the lake with hogs and squirrels in the morning/evening. It’s definitely no hunting ranch/trophy shoot though.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is good hunting to be found on public land. You have to be willing to go way back in the thick stuff to get away from other hunters. That means hauling your kill a long way through the thick stuff. Gun safety is not a priority for many who hunt public. There is a good chance some one will shoot at your deer, and you by extension. I guess they think that deer will belly crawl to avoid detection. Also, prepare for thieves to go browsing in your vehicle while you are hunting. Anything that is not welded on will be stolen, and many things that are welded.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is good hunting to be found on public land. You have to be willing to go way back in the thick stuff to get away from other hunters. That means hauling your kill a long way through the thick stuff. Gun safety is not a priority for many who hunt public. There is a good chance some one will shoot at your deer, and you by extension. I guess they think that deer will belly crawl to avoid detection. Also, prepare for thieves to go browsing in your vehicle while you are hunting. Anything that is not welded on will be stolen, and many things that are welded.
This is a good point. Security and parking your truck away from wandering eyes is important year around. I doubt that I’ll ever need it, but I do tend to carry a sidearm when hunting public land, just in case. It’s been handy for snakes, I doubt I’ll ever have to defend myself from people, but better safe than sorry.

Also, I’ve heard from people at two different WMA ranges, don’t trust anyone, or assume you’re alone. I’ve heard a few stories about guys getting their firearms stolen off the shooting bench while they’re down range messing with targets. I’ve heard about it being individuals that were shooting on the range with them, who grab and run, and I’ve also heard about people watching and showing up when you’re down range or in the bathroom, away from your gear. I’ll set a box or two of ammo down on the shooting bench, and anytime I go down range or leave the bench, I take my firearm with me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom