Im looking to start reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyecyou

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok I gotta jump in here as well. I wanna start reloading and was debating between these three set up kits:

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/...-master-reloading-kit-prod54059.aspx?psize=96

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/...classic-reloading-kit-prod38567.aspx?psize=96

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/...ad-classic-kit-deluxe-prod54062.aspx?psize=96

Any reasons why to buy one or not the other? Anyone had any bad reviews on em? Anything missing from one of these kits that I'll have to buy right away? All info is much appreciated. Thanks

Revived

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They'll all get you going... and you'll get several opinions... Heads-up on the Rock Chucker (my vote of the 3) price... NOT trying to steer you away from Brownell's - maybe see if they can match Grafs price (they have that kit on sale right now and flat rate $7.95 shipping)... as far as additional accessories - depends on it's primary use... rifle or pistol... but either way - definitely get quality dies...

eyecyou

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brownells just happened to have all 3 that i could copy n paste links to, (trust me I'm a penny pincher). I'm leaning towards the rock chucker but had never heard of it before, so i wanted to hear if there were any bad reviews but so far i haven't found much. thanks for the quick reply

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started with the lee aniversary kit it was 69$ when I bought it, then got a rockchucker press, then a dillion 550.
I still use the 2 single stage presses. The single presses will do both rifle & pistol. The best thing you can do is read, dont remember if lymans 48th reloading book was mentioned has alot of info. All my rifle accuracy rounds are loaded on the single stage press, blasting on the dillion along with all my pistol rounds. finally got an auto powder dispencer that really speeds up the single stage loading

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not like those kits.
The first one maybe..
I had a rockchuker and a Lee classic cast iron.
I like the Lee best ..i love the way it primes and gets rid of the primers.\

The rcbs powder measure i do not like for accurate powder measuring..
You really need a good scale....not an electronic as things like lights can screw with them..some are much better than others.

For a starter or a seasoned pro the 505 beam scale is EXCELLENT!
I would not start with an electronic scale or powder measure without having a beam scale to double check the loads.
Safety thing.

To the original poster on powder.
Getting hard to find..I really like bullseye for my 45 and 357 likes it also that or 231 or HP38 same powder as 231.
So many powders to choose from..few in stock.

I suggest 4lb if you can find them

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, powders and primers are the name of the game right now. I like BL-C(2) for 5.56. A lot of people like H4895 as a go-to powder for various powders. the problem (to for) for H4895 is the smell as you fire. it has a very strong ammonia odor, so the kiddies don't like it. BL-C(2) doesn't have the problem - but you're getting very good advice right now.

use a loading manual to determine what powder to use. Come up with a list of safe to use powders for your firearm and start shopping. right now it's about what you can find but whatever you do, don't even THINK about substituting powders.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes a beam scale is a must & the 505 is the go to scale, I also have certified weights to calibrate the electronic scale but that should be way down the road for you, get the 505 you wont go wrong. All new reloaders need to be able to use a beam scale.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen alot of 9mm and 5.56 advice, does any of the advice transfer to .308?
And any special dies sets yall recommend for a Lee Pro 1000?

Latest posts

Top Bottom