Primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delta6

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
when people slow/stop buying at crazy prices they will drop back just like ammo has
Well..I wish it always worked like that.
The price on primers will come down some (current wholesale on 100k is $57-60/1000) when folks stop buying packaged ammunition. The less ammo a manufacturer sells, the greater incentive to discount excess components.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have found no problem with using small pistol in rifle loads [only did it with a few and when I pick up off the floor and find good small primers they go only to rifle] as many pistols won't fire rifle primers as they are made from thicker metal -- just my experience
I have used small pistol magnum primers in reduced rifle loads and it seemed fine. But I just don’t think it’s safe to use regular small pistol primers in hot high pressure rifle loads, like max velocity 5.56 etc

I doubt you’ll blow yourself up but a pierced primer and damaged firing pin is certainly possible

Jeeper90

Marksman
Reaction score
I have been waiting and waiting for prices to go down to catch up on my reloading. I have purchased many items through Brownells over many years and really like their products. But Primers were $179 - $189 per thousand 6 months ago. Ive noticed they have gone dont to $79 to $89 recently and Im still having a hard time wanting to buy at that price. I have plenty of small and large rifle primers but need small and large pistol primers. Has anyone used or tried small and large rifle primers in a pistol cartridge? I really the cup is thicker and tougher, a little explosive mix in the cup.
A new primer, cartridge maker is building a huge primer manufacture facility in Ft Worth Texas but its still a year of so from being complete. Amazing how what party is in office makes ammo and reloading so expensive. Obama knew we had to have primers and ordered massive quantitives of ammo (millions of rounds) for the IRS, FBI and other agencies and drove prices through the roof. Now we are supporting a proxy war and sending ammo across the pond by the airplane load and created another crisis for the law abiding citizens. To think I actually bought primers in the 1970s for a $1.00 a hundred and $9.00 a brick. I have a few of the 100 count sleeves I keep for nostalgia reasons. Used to buy them from hardward store, Gas Station in Canadian Tx (Hoobler's) ah....the good ole days!
I have used thousands of small rifle primers in small pistol. I have also used many thousands of small mag, match, and gold medal match in place od small pistol. If you are loading to that maximum then you may want to reduce your load a tiny bit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom