Primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Small rifle and pistol primers can typically be interchanged. The physical size is the same. Rifle primers have a slightly thicker cup and are a bit hotter. Large rifle and pistol won’t interchange, the physical size is different.
I use large pistol primers in reduced rifle loads all the time, they are the same diameter but the
rifle are a little taller. The same goes for the small.

ARnut

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Small rifle and pistol primers can typically be interchanged. The physical size is the same. Rifle primers have a slightly thicker cup and are a bit hotter. Large rifle and pistol won’t interchange, the physical size is different.
Good to know as I have a lot of small rifle primers.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At one time they were scarcer then hens teeth, now a little bit more available. Powder valley had cci sp for $79.99 for one day only . Idk if the deal is still on. The going rate seems to be .09/.10 cent’s a piece. But when you add in shipping and hazmat it closers to .11-12 cents a piece.

The days of .03/.04.5 cent primers are long gone. 7-8 cents a piece will be the new normal from now on.

Regards,
when people slow/stop buying at crazy prices they will drop back just like ammo has

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind it’s only safe to use a small rifle primer in a pistol load, it’s NOT safe to use a small pistol primer in a rifle load
I have found no problem with using small pistol in rifle loads [only did it with a few and when I pick up off the floor and find good small primers they go only to rifle] as many pistols won't fire rifle primers as they are made from thicker metal -- just my experience

Latest posts

Top Bottom