Primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARnut

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just started reloading again and have read in some places it’s hard to find primers. Is that true? What’s your experiences ?

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can generally find primers online pretty easily, but at insane prices. I haven't been in a local shop in a while, I'd be interested to see if local availability has gotten better.

Glockisgood17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At one time they were scarcer then hens teeth, now a little bit more available. Powder valley had cci sp for $79.99 for one day only . Idk if the deal is still on. The going rate seems to be .09/.10 cent’s a piece. But when you add in shipping and hazmat it closers to .11-12 cents a piece.

The days of .03/.04.5 cent primers are long gone. 7-8 cents a piece will be the new normal from now on.

Regards,

User_3155

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you purchased from this company and how many did you have to buy to get a discount?
Yes, they are a Missouri based company. FedEx Ground shipping, be prepared to be home to sign for primers, or ship somewhere they can be signed for. Most of their "deals" come on a minimum purchase of 5,000 primers.

If you buy the CCI primers they will come in black and white boxes and say O.E.M. on the packages. They are also unplated (brass color - not silver shiny).

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been waiting and waiting for prices to go down to catch up on my reloading. I have purchased many items through Brownells over many years and really like their products. But Primers were $179 - $189 per thousand 6 months ago. Ive noticed they have gone dont to $79 to $89 recently and Im still having a hard time wanting to buy at that price. I have plenty of small and large rifle primers but need small and large pistol primers. Has anyone used or tried small and large rifle primers in a pistol cartridge? I really the cup is thicker and tougher, a little explosive mix in the cup.
A new primer, cartridge maker is building a huge primer manufacture facility in Ft Worth Texas but its still a year of so from being complete. Amazing how what party is in office makes ammo and reloading so expensive. Obama knew we had to have primers and ordered massive quantitives of ammo (millions of rounds) for the IRS, FBI and other agencies and drove prices through the roof. Now we are supporting a proxy war and sending ammo across the pond by the airplane load and created another crisis for the law abiding citizens. To think I actually bought primers in the 1970s for a $1.00 a hundred and $9.00 a brick. I have a few of the 100 count sleeves I keep for nostalgia reasons. Used to buy them from hardward store, Gas Station in Canadian Tx (Hoobler's) ah....the good ole days!

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been waiting and waiting for prices to go down to catch up on my reloading. I have purchased many items through Brownells over many years and really like their products. But Primers were $179 - $189 per thousand 6 months ago. Ive noticed they have gone dont to $79 to $89 recently and Im still having a hard time wanting to buy at that price. I have plenty of small and large rifle primers but need small and large pistol primers. Has anyone used or tried small and large rifle primers in a pistol cartridge? I really the cup is thicker and tougher, a little explosive mix in the cup.
A new primer, cartridge maker is building a huge primer manufacture facility in Ft Worth Texas but its still a year of so from being complete. Amazing how what party is in office makes ammo and reloading so expensive. Obama knew we had to have primers and ordered massive quantitives of ammo (millions of rounds) for the IRS, FBI and other agencies and drove prices through the roof. Now we are supporting a proxy war and sending ammo across the pond by the airplane load and created another crisis for the law abiding citizens. To think I actually bought primers in the 1970s for a $1.00 a hundred and $9.00 a brick. I have a few of the 100 count sleeves I keep for nostalgia reasons. Used to buy them from hardward store, Gas Station in Canadian Tx (Hoobler's) ah....the good ole days!
Small rifle and pistol primers can typically be interchanged. The physical size is the same. Rifle primers have a slightly thicker cup and are a bit hotter. Large rifle and pistol won’t interchange, the physical size is different.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just remember if the price online is too good to be true. It probably is.
Scammers everywhere.
Especially when it comes to reloading.

Latest posts

Top Bottom