Impulse buy... how'd I do? AK people????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You got a good score there man. Then gun isn't neutered and can take the first GEN bayonet. Like posted above the ammo really made it a sweet deal and you would've probably been upside down if it wasn't included. You could probably get maybe 400 450 if you sold the ammo. People go nuts over that old Chinese stuff

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you need to check for 922r compliant parts. ALL mak 90's came with thumbhole stocks. they were imported from 1989 to 1994 Pre-bans are the ones before 1989 called AKS,AK47S and other names.
The rules back in 1989-94 was you could not put a regular stock and Pg on at all as there were no such thing as compliant parts.

"MAK-90" is short for "modified AK, 1990" - so all MAKs are post ban. As for 922r, I wouldn't waste my time worrying about it. It applies to "manufacture", not possession, so buying a rifle already so modified is no big deal. No one has ever been convicted of breaking that law, and the .gov would have a harder time trying to prove that you broke the law than you would proving someone before you modified it to "standard" configuration. Add to that, I'd bet my paycheck that the vast majority of LEOs know little to nothing about it (and likely wouldn't care if they did).

As for the deal, you did fine; 7.26x39 commercial ammo averages around 25¢ a round, and that being the long-ago banned Chinese stuff, it often sells for more. So if you figure around $300 for the ammo, a $600 early import MAK is pretty decent - especially since it's already been relieved of the hideous thumbhole stock. Looks like 4 Chinese flat-back mags, and maybe a 20 round Hunky? Even more value there. I'd pull that AK-74-style brake and put a slant brake on it. Otherwise, it's a great example of the AK-type rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom