In need of a reputable place to repaint and finish my wood stock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So yall talked me into doing it my self just picked up some KS-3 Premium Stripper, Red Oak stain, Clear Semi gloss and some 220 Grit sand paper. I'll let yall know how it goes.

If those two chunks of wood wont stain out to the same color... you may have to do an undercoat of sealer.

There are a lot of tricks to get dis-similar woods to look alike... too many to speak of here... but don't be afraid of trial and error.

bmw530

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I took some pics while doing the work, I finished one coat of stain I am really pleased with the color. I did do some reading on other people who had PSL's and refinished the wood most of them just put 1 coat of stain on the butt and put 3-4 coats on the hand guards in order to get them all the same color. I am pretty sure thats what I'll end up doing and touching up stops with a Q-tip that has some stain on it.

So here is my progress: I am just waiting the 4 hours so I can retain it (I hate wait times).

ai1031.photobucket.com_albums_y378_playaking88_IMG_0881.jpg

ai1031.photobucket.com_albums_y378_playaking88_IMG_0882.jpg

ai1031.photobucket.com_albums_y378_playaking88_IMG_0883.jpg

ai1031.photobucket.com_albums_y378_playaking88_IMG_0885.jpg

ai1031.photobucket.com_albums_y378_playaking88_IMG_0886.jpg

ai1031.photobucket.com_albums_y378_playaking88_IMG_0888.jpg

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get mad at my wife if she just pitches an old toothbrush in the trash. I'll put them on the work bench. breat for scrubbing parts. To gunked up just pitch it grab another.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You dont see a lot of raised comb stocks, Dennis... was that original to that gun?

That is a very nice M12

The forearm is original, and sealed to accept the new stain.
The buttstock was original but the grain was broken by a wannabe putting a socket that was too big on the tang and forcing the nut.
I bought an unfinished buttstock from a guy in Mo, and then had it laser engraved in the style of a Rem 1100.
There are 29 coats of Birchwood Casey on the wood, with sanding in-between
Its very deep looking. Took a couple of weeks of applying the stain and letting it dry to get the look I wanted.:D
What I didn't know is that the Mod 12 holds 6 +1 rounds. Awesome shotty. I went to an auction the other day that had one in 16 ga. It went for well over a grand....I love 16's but it went for much more than I wanted to pay.

bmw530

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I finished clear coating it and I just reassembled my rifle....... and I am loving it. Thanks guy for all the help I wouldn't of been ale to do it without yall.

Before:
ai1031.photobucket.com_albums_y378_playaking88_IMG_0788.jpg

After:
ai1031.photobucket.com_albums_y378_playaking88_IMG_0902.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom