Wood chipper?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She had purchased the house years ago before we met. Ended up renting the place out for a few years. She figured she wanted to live there again, clean things up and look at selling it eventually. We moved back thinking it was gonna be a paint/carpet/new bathroom kinda deal. Well, previous tenants (who lost jobs during Covid and my wife took rent out of their deposit instead of kicking them out) were POSes, and the property manager didn’t do his job either. House was completely trashed. 80% or more of the expenses involved with this has been out of my wife’s pocket. She has always known money invested/money earned was connected. I’ve told her that the profits from selling should go towards her retirement fund, but she now hates this house so much it’s all going toward making the next house happen asap.
That's sad, but she's right on the next one. You make money 4 ways in a rental. Appreciation, rental income, principal payment, and depreciation. That last one is often overlooked. You can fire up a little $25.00 LLC and you get all the deductions Walmart gets, then depreciation on the house on top of that. Usually makes for a big fat return at the end of the year, just in time for a downpayment on a new house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom