Wood chipper?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I have a lot of limbs and stuff that I need disposed of. Like 5 decent trees worth. I also need a bunch of mulch to help my soil and slow down some erosion. So I thought: why not get a wood chipper? Like rent one. But I don’t know much about them. Are the 2” chippers at Home Depot gonna be worth the hassle? Or should I pony up the cash for a 12”?

Anyone have any experience with one?

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had one but it's been awhile. Even though the opening was IIRC 6"-8",you had to trim the limbs off to feed anything at all through, figured if I'm going through with that trouble it'd be easier to burn.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went through this a couple of years ago. My experience, anything under 4" is trash. I went with the Woodmax and like it a lot. Me the boy and the grandson take it out to my property more often than I thought I would (about every 2-3 months) during warm months. You find things to feed it when it's yours.
It can handle more than you'd think. We've even put wood fence boards in it (nails removed).
I tell you I got more mulch now than I ever thought I'd need.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought one of those little electric Sun Joe chippers off of Amazon. I tore through a bunch of crepe myrtles I had to trim back to the ground. Like has been mentioned feeding it in will piss you off. If it's perfectly straight and no branches splitting off, it works pretty good and will surprise you. Rent a big one, is my advice.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only ones i have had any dealings with had a 24 inch throat and when they demoed it we put a 45 ft telephone pole in it and it belched once and asked for more, but we have put 40 ft whole trees in it and didnt trim a single limb even thou the limbs was maybe 2 in in dia but it ate the whole thing without slowing down. I would suggest if you have alot and there is alot of big stuff rent a commerical grade one.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I have a lot of limbs and stuff that I need disposed of. Like 5 decent trees worth. I also need a bunch of mulch to help my soil and slow down some erosion. So I thought: why not get a wood chipper? Like rent one. But I don’t know much about them. Are the 2” chippers at Home Depot gonna be worth the hassle? Or should I pony up the cash for a 12”?

Anyone have any experience with one?
2in ain't worth it.

I would just rent one unless you have a total Permaculture homested. You will probable be able to finish that in a day if you rent one. In my experience they tend to do about 75% of the diameter that they claim.

Just do hugelkulture with the wood. Raised beds FTW
Pretending you have trees in the pandhandle.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
2in ain't worth it.

I would just rent one unless you have a total Permaculture homested. You will probable be able to finish that in a day if you rent one. In my experience they tend to do about 75% of the diameter that they claim.

Pretending you have trees in the pandhandle.

I use cactus “wood” 🤣

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check with United Rental. They will have different options
In Eastern OK (Stillwater to McAlester and East into AR) we don't carry hardly any. If the OP wants to call me at my office tomorrow, 918 302-3839 ask for Hoby, and let me know where he lives I can check surrounding locations to see what they have or steer him in the right direction.

If we don't have any available in our system locally/OK, the the OP has a tractor or access to one he can check with P&K Equipment/JD to see if they have a PTO powered unit for rent. Google search all equipment rental companies in your area and see who carries. 6" units are about the smallest I'd want to mess with but if you can find a 12" you'll find all sorts of fun stuff to do with it. IN Socal we rented the 18" vermeer models and those things are down right intimidating to use. Not as plentiful as one might think to rent. They tend to have a fair amount of maintenance on them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom