Increased Hunting and Fishing Licenses Costs Proposed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The price depends on what part of TX you want hunt, but I don’t know anyone that hunts in Oklahoma because their lease is cheaper.🤣

The focus here seems to be that Texans are the only out of staters that come to Oklahoma to hunt, but @kwaynem has told me that Osage county fills up with Kansas residents. I’m fairly confident that’s not the only place they hunt. :scratch:
Kaw lake in Kay county is a sea of orange Kansas hunters during rifle season.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can buy one, buy one today. Do what you need to do to save the money. If you plan to hunt and fish in Oklahoma buy a lifetime license. It will pay for itself in just a few years. I bought my license in December 1979. A combo license was $225, I didn’t have enough money at the time to buy a combo at the time but purchased a lifetime fishing license a couple years later. They are one of the best investments I have ever made.
IMG_6580.jpeg

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can buy one, buy one today. Do what you need to do to save the money. If you plan to hunt and fish in Oklahoma buy a lifetime license. It will pay for itself in just a few years. I bought my license in December 1979. A combo license was $225, I didn’t have enough money at the time to buy a combo at the time but purchased a lifetime fishing license a couple years later. They are one of the best investments I have ever made. View attachment 465726
Bought mine in 2014 for $775...I'm money ahead already.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over the last 20+ years deer hunting in Oklahoma, I’ve spent A BUNCH of money on licenses, done business locally and paid sales tax, paid my property taxes, and yet because I have Texas tags on my truck, I’m just another sumbiching out of stater to the ODWC and the vast majority of resident OK hunters.
Thanks to pot farms or whatever has caused land prices to skyrocket, I’m sitting on a pretty valuable asset, and this little money grab by the ODWC might be the catalyst to make me cash out. I’m already spending over $1000 per year on licenses, and this price increase would add about 70% to that. I like to hunt, but at some point, the cost doesn’t make sense.
You have some property. Throw up a tent and claim residency. I’d welcome you as an Okie. Then buy the lifetime.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have some property. Throw up a tent and claim residency. I’d welcome you as an Okie. Then buy the lifetime.
Doesn't work that way. It's been tried before.
I'm friends and have been for years a gentleman that retired as the NW Supervisor for GW's. Told me he had a Kansas resident rent a chicken coop home in a border town in Oklahoma in an effort to set up residency requirements.
Back in those days, the GW in your region had to personally sign off that you had a legit residence and actually lived there.
He knew the guy didn't, so asked him to mail in the application which he did from Kansas.
Now we have a federal mail fraud situation which was followed up on and prosecuted successfully.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got my lifetime license as a gift from my dad in 1993 when they were $400. I have since bought both my sons their lifetime licenses (the youngest got his last week).

These are the best investments if you hunt and fish in Oklahoma!!

IIRC I gave $525 for mine in 1999.

Last edited:

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're hunting with all of your gear you spent money on and paid tax during those purchases just pay the increase of the license. It's just make believe paper money that has no asset value, and go enjoy what you enjoy doing which is hunting. I always tell myself this:
"You can't take your money with you when you die."

I know you can leave it for family, but the point is pay the increase and go do what you do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom