Inexpensive hog hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The $100 a night sounds really good. But in addition to what KD7SXA has asked does anyone know of good public lands or farmers who have problems with hogs that will let you exterminate them for less fees?

Try around the Red River. Lots of sod farms in that area and they have lots of problems with hogs down there. I live in Bryan County and mostly hunt along the Washita River though. Maybe you can try advertising for hog hunting too. Try this site as its regularly used in theTexoma area .....www.texomamarketplace.com. Theres some really nice hogs here and they're getting pretty thick around here too.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All a matter of your own personal taste, preparation, and what kinda pig you're eatin. Myself, I think the right pig can make fine table fare. Size doesn't always determine palatibility either. I've shot 80 lb boars that stink to high heaven, and killed 300 lb ones that were great. But generally, bout an 80 lb gilt does well on the smoker. Wild pigs are not nearly as fatty as domestic pigs, so you're not going to get a big marbled ham like you see in the grocery store. There will be a hunk of fatback on top, and that is bout it. They are relatively lean. Don't let those treehuggers that insist everything that doesn't come from Homeland tastes "gamey" steer you away from wild pork. Of course it tastes "gamey", it wasn't bought from the meat counter. It has its own flavor, which is quite good. But you will come across those pigs that just plain STANK, and when you try to cook them it just gets worse. Those get left in the pasture.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am soo there. Calling tomorrow. Ya'll think a .45 Long Colt in a lever action rifle will work on Hogs if it's a hot load? Or would an SKS be better?

The SKS is a bit marginal, but has more range than the .45 LC. Close in, the .45 would be better. I really like .308, 30-06, 7mm-08, and others in that size range. If you use hunting ammo in the SKS it should be okay. It's like a souped up 30-30. Big boars have really thick hide on the shoulders (well over 2 inches of scar tissue from fighting over sows) and this can stop marginal bullets.

Have fun, and remember this is the only animal in OK that can come and hurt you if it wants to. Deer could, but unless you corner them, they go the other way. Not always so with pigs. Your guide should know all of this. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom