Info on the big churches in OKC area?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been thinking about attending a church again. Was raised religious and did the whole youth group thing in my teen years, then interest sort of fell off. There's no specific reason why I'm looking to go back.. just curious to try it again and see if it's more interesting now that I'm older.

But if I can be picky, then I'm looking for a church that doesn't do too much of the singing and arm waving stuff... always felt it was super cheesy and embarrassing. I know WHY churches do this, but I'd prefer one that spent more time on sermon and bible readings... something more dry, academic or analytical if that makes sense.

I think the churches I've gone to in the past were Nazarene, Methodist, and Baptist, but I'm cool to try whatever denominations are out there besides the one that mutilates squirrels.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be honest, most large churches stream online now. You could watch a few that way to see if you like the sermons before going.

The church I attend, we have a Sunday school teacher that ties secular history in with the history of the Bible which is very interesting to me.

Raptor62

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably should visit online first. Just about everyone has fb live or YouTube services.
Life has many campus in the okc area.
I go to the gate on council but Probably sing too much for you definitely not dry and academic.
Peoples is on Britten rd near Broadway and has online.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably should visit online first. Just about everyone has fb live or YouTube services.
Life has many campus in the okc area.
I go to the gate on council but Probably sing too much for you definitely not dry and academic.
Peoples is on Britten rd near Broadway and has online.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Peoples Church to me is more geared toward making you comfortable and is a modern rock group type singing church. They have a play room with a bounce house inside along with video game stations for kids in the hallways. They even have closed circuit tv's you can watch the services above the urinals! Not my cup of tea.

If you really want a down to earth old fashioned church my old church in Kingfisher The Federated Church I grew up with. It's only a short 40 minute drive from my house in OKC.
I'm not active there anymore since my parents died and I have no more ties there. It is a combination United Church of Christ and Presbyterian.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wife and I attend a fairly large Methodist church and enjoy it. We had 5 services before all the covid stuff hit with both traditional and contemporary services. The contemporary service is still fairly old school though so my high school daughter attends Life Church which is more her speed and suited towards people her age. There is something out there for everyone.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't say where you are but here is Acts 2 Methodist Church in Edmond. Music is contemporary, sermons show how the Bible is contemporary. This this mornings live stream.

After 40 year absence from church, with me making all the usual excuses, I came back to church at Acts 2 Methodist. I took their Adult Confirmation class and learned a tremendous amount. Including that the Christian Church where I was christened as a baby, does not do infant baptism. So at 71 years of age I got baptized with all the 14-15 year old. I made a trip to Israel with the church and saw those places mentioned in the Bible. At age 67 the Wife and I were the first couple married in the new chapel. If it wasn't for COVID in December I was headed to Guatemala with a church group to dig a water well.

I am older, but if I were to guess the average age of the member probably in the 40's and very family oriented. Not a megachurch, but not small either. If you are Edmond area, try us.

https://acts2umc.org/

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't waste your time. Get some friends together and talk about life, your problems, your families, learn from each other, support each other. And you don't have to donate tithes or offerings to a building that is empty most of the time, or someone who has a bible degree that is clueless about rel life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom