Info on the big churches in OKC area?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fredkrueger you crack me up....yes Life (and other fast growing congregations) intentionally tries to attract as many people as it can. Believers want to spread The Word to as many people as possible as we live in a world that is growing more lost everyday. That is the core foundation of the Bible....reaching the lost. The concept that the Church isn’t a building is part of their core beliefs.... the church is/are the people who meet there and take The Gospel out into the world. Groschel does teach the Bible.... not in a traditional fire and brimstone way, but in a way that applies to life today. He relates to people in a way traditional pastors do not. The most important part of being a Christian is following Christ, not a denomination. There are many churches that teach the Bible.... each in their own way. It doesn’t change the fact that that they are Bible based. Each reaches people in their own unique way.

I would challenge you to attend a Life location for a few services and see for yourself. I think you would be surprised.
Of course your going to defend Craig and his church. It’s where you go. Everyone that goes there is going to defend it. The fact remains that it is NOT biblical no matter what you say. Just because he may use scripture doesn’t mean it’s a biblical congregation. Lots of places use scripture but they use it deceivingly. There is a reason the Bible teaches that congregations are supposed to have elders and deacons. One man isn’t to be the head of the congregation. Yet Groeschel is. Life church is a business plain and simple. There is nothing wrong with applying scripture to today. Scripture never goes out of style. The problem with his church is the fact that it’s about bringing in as many “people” as possible. It’s not about them being saved and spreading the gospel. I know a girl that I used to worship with for years. She left our congregation and went to the Shawnee life church. She said she was a “leader” (Sunday school teacher). I asked her what she has been teaching about salvation and she couldn’t even answer me. Yet she is teaching young kids. Not everyone is meant to be a teacher, a preacher, an elder or a deacon.

If groeshel was only interested in spreading the gospel and helping people find Christ, he would have used scripture alone to start a new congregation. But he didn’t do that. Life church is like a party place. Worship is supposed to be orderly and conservative. Per Corinthians. They are neither of those. Their service is a joke. I also have a cousin that abandoned the faith to start going there. Why? Because he liked the “atmosphere”. I can guarantee if Paul were to come back to life and visit there he would be fuming. Heck he lit people up for being divided back then. It reminds me of people that refer to themselves as Catholics, Baptist’s, Methodists , Episcopalians, etc. I am a Christian, period. That is the exact thing Paul was rebuking people for. They were saying they were of Paul, Peter, etc. He asked them if they had died for them or was it Jesus. We all know the answer to that. Referring to oneself as anything other than a Christian is wrong.

Scripture has been twisted over the years and that is why we have places like life church now. Many of the folks that go there are clueless about scripture. Heck that goes for a lot of places. Craig is no different than Joel Osteen. Both seem like amazing people, but in reality they aren’t. Wolves in sheep’s clothing. Because if you or all the other people that go there knew scripture well enough you wouldn’t be going there and you wouldn’t be defending him. Look I just want people to see the truth. What good is spreading the gospel if it’s not the truth?

I remember my cousin telling me that they were passing around the offering plate and Craig said, “ if anyone is struggling just reach into that plate and take what you need”. Really?? That is ridiculous and for show. It makes him look like he is amazing. Number one, based upon scripture he shouldn’t be allowed to do that. The elders should. Wait a minute! Life church doesn’t have elders. A druggy could come in there and take every dime out of it. That money is to be used to help spread the gospel. That is why elders are to control the money. Not just one man. Again, this is against scripture. So if Craig is such a great person and “pastor” and knows the Bible so well, why would he ignore this instruction? It ain’t hard to figure out why. And why would he ignore the instructions on how a congregation is to be set up and ran?

Also, no church needs an HR department. No congregation is to be controlled by a headquarters. Each individual congregation is to be lead by elders and then deacons that use the Bible as their guide. They do the hiring and firing based upon scripture. They also decide how to use the money that is brought in. The main reason so many go to life church is because it makes them feel good. That’s it. It’s not because it most closely follows scripture. I’ve even had members tell me that. I go where I go because out of everyone I have researched it most closely follows the Bible. No other reason is needed. My boss goes to life church yet he grew up believing the way I believe. I asked him why one day and he said “ because it’s fun and not traditional. He said “my old congregation was too traditional and conservative”. I tried to explain to him why it’s that way but he wasn’t having it. Out of all the people I share the gospel with , none ever accept the truth. But all I can do is plant the seed. The devil has infiltrated many “churches” today. That is a fact.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Worship is supposed to be orderly and conservative. Per Corinthians.

Orderly as in not chaotic . . . including musical instruments or singing something other than a traditional hymn is most definitely NOT chaotic.

Not sure where you're pulling the conservative part from though . . . worship should be bible-centered and edifying.

I grew up in a CofC . . . I was a deacon in the church we attended while living in ABQ. We did the same thing every Sunday. The orderly part became a habit. When we moved back to Oklahoma we chose to attend a CofC in Stillwater. The day we were there the message was decent, but the atmosphere was about as friendly as a kick in the nuts. So we chose to try Sunnybrook and never looked back. It had some of the best bible teaching I've been exposed to. I'm not sure I could ever go back to another CofC.

Also, no church needs an HR department.

Yeah . . . that totally depends on the number of employees. Martha may have been the church secretary for 40 years, but she might not be quite up to speed with current income tax withholdings or be able to manage paying dozens of church staff.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone thinks that the preacher is going to say something that will cause anyone to leave the church? Of course not, they're money. At one time they would preach a conviction message and tell people they had sinned and people would get saved. I knew a preacher that didn't like people coming in poorly dressed and not giving to the church and I told him that if they get saved they'd tithe and he was all for that. I attended the Bible Seminary in OKC and the professor said that churches are nothing but a big business. If you donate money and make a big deal in public out of it that was your reward-no Heavenly reward. Of course the guy said Easter and Christmas were pagan holidays and he didn't do anything for his children on their birthdays so it was sort of confusing. He was a good guy but had some funny ideas.

They were, and they are. Winter solstice and fertility. When you force your religion on a people it's easier if you combine your holidays with theirs.

Check out the rules of the early Americans regarding Christmas, lol.

}BuLL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we lived in Stillwater we attended Sunnybrook Christian Church . . . some of the best teaching and people I've been exposed to.

I really wish we could've found something similar in style and size in Edmond.
Not sure about the style and size of Sunnybrook, but you might give [URL]http://timbers.church/about-us/who-we-are[/URL] a visit. Coltrane & Memorial Rd
Smaller welcoming congregation with a great teacher.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh you mean Mr. Millionaire that created “his” church to be able to attract as many people as he could? The guy has a marketing degree and did research on why people liked certain churches and why some didn’t. He didn’t use the Bible to start a congregation. Life church is all about making folks feel good about themselves. It is NOT a biblical church. It’s sad to see so many people fall for the lies. And I’m sorry man, it is NOT a real church. There is only ONE real church. And it’s not a building. And it’s not called something like “life” church. There are two names that refer to places of worship. Churches of Christ and Churches of God.
Joel Osteens church has thousands upon thousands of members. And many more online. But he is a liar and false teacher. I’m sorry if I sound like a jerk but I’m just speaking the truth. We go to worship to praise God, not make ourselves feel good. Now there is nothing wrong with feeling good, it’s just not the reason we should be going. There are tons of places that have a more “worldly” worship to try as attract more people. Life church actually plays rock music before their worship sometimes. Flat ridiculous.

Never mind. I don’t want to take away from the discussion

Last edited:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anytime a church claims to have a monopoly on God, run as fast as you can! Or for that matter, if a person says they heard from God and He wants...excuse yourself. No church, no man has a monopoly on God and no one has an inside relationship with God.

Never mind. I don’t want to take away from the discussion

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BuLL, post: 3414914, member: 29694"]Not sure about the style and size of Sunnybrook, but you might give http://timbers.church/about-us/who-we-are a visit. Coltrane & Memorial Rd
Smaller welcoming congregation with a great teacher.

Thank you for the info.

We moved from Stillwater to Edmond back in 2007. We've been attending Crossings Community Church since.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of course your going to defend Craig and his church. It’s where you go. Everyone that goes there is going to defend it. The fact remains that it is NOT biblical no matter what you say. Just because he may use scripture doesn’t mean it’s a biblical congregation. Lots of places use scripture but they use it deceivingly. There is a reason the Bible teaches that congregations are supposed to have elders and deacons. One man isn’t to be the head of the congregation. Yet Groeschel is. Life church is a business plain and simple. There is nothing wrong with applying scripture to today. Scripture never goes out of style. The problem with his church is the fact that it’s about bringing in as many “people” as possible. It’s not about them being saved and spreading the gospel. I know a girl that I used to worship with for years. She left our congregation and went to the Shawnee life church. She said she was a “leader” (Sunday school teacher). I asked her what she has been teaching about salvation and she couldn’t even answer me. Yet she is teaching young kids. Not everyone is meant to be a teacher, a preacher, an elder or a deacon.

If groeshel was only interested in spreading the gospel and helping people find Christ, he would have used scripture alone to start a new congregation. But he didn’t do that. Life church is like a party place. Worship is supposed to be orderly and conservative. Per Corinthians. They are neither of those. Their service is a joke. I also have a cousin that abandoned the faith to start going there. Why? Because he liked the “atmosphere”. I can guarantee if Paul were to come back to life and visit there he would be fuming. Heck he lit people up for being divided back then. It reminds me of people that refer to themselves as Catholics, Baptist’s, Methodists , Episcopalians, etc. I am a Christian, period. That is the exact thing Paul was rebuking people for. They were saying they were of Paul, Peter, etc. He asked them if they had died for them or was it Jesus. We all know the answer to that. Referring to oneself as anything other than a Christian is wrong.

Scripture has been twisted over the years and that is why we have places like life church now. Many of the folks that go there are clueless about scripture. Heck that goes for a lot of places. Craig is no different than Joel Osteen. Both seem like amazing people, but in reality they aren’t. Wolves in sheep’s clothing. Because if you or all the other people that go there knew scripture well enough you wouldn’t be going there and you wouldn’t be defending him. Look I just want people to see the truth. What good is spreading the gospel if it’s not the truth?

I remember my cousin telling me that they were passing around the offering plate and Craig said, “ if anyone is struggling just reach into that plate and take what you need”. Really?? That is ridiculous and for show. It makes him look like he is amazing. Number one, based upon scripture he shouldn’t be allowed to do that. The elders should. Wait a minute! Life church doesn’t have elders. A druggy could come in there and take every dime out of it. That money is to be used to help spread the gospel. That is why elders are to control the money. Not just one man. Again, this is against scripture. So if Craig is such a great person and “pastor” and knows the Bible so well, why would he ignore this instruction? It ain’t hard to figure out why. And why would he ignore the instructions on how a congregation is to be set up and ran?

Also, no church needs an HR department. No congregation is to be controlled by a headquarters. Each individual congregation is to be lead by elders and then deacons that use the Bible as their guide. They do the hiring and firing based upon scripture. They also decide how to use the money that is brought in. The main reason so many go to life church is because it makes them feel good. That’s it. It’s not because it most closely follows scripture. I’ve even had members tell me that. I go where I go because out of everyone I have researched it most closely follows the Bible. No other reason is needed. My boss goes to life church yet he grew up believing the way I believe. I asked him why one day and he said “ because it’s fun and not traditional. He said “my old congregation was too traditional and conservative”. I tried to explain to him why it’s that way but he wasn’t having it. Out of all the people I share the gospel with , none ever accept the truth. But all I can do is plant the seed. The devil has infiltrated many “churches” today. That is a fact.

Wow! So many lies, so little truth. Good luck to you.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is sad is that we live in a time when the truth is called a lie and a lie is called the truth.

The truth is that many know what they believe but have no knowledge about what the bible says. I ask just about every week "What does the bible say?" Not what do you think it says or what have you been taught but what does it actually say. We will all be held accountable to what the bible actually says and not our belief of what it says.

This is not directed toward any specific person in this thread. However if you feel convicted then you need to repent. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom