Interesting Article on Revolvers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ummm, I think shotguns will be the last to be banned.
As shotgun Joe says you only need a double barrel, so you’ll be limited to 2 shot capacity 😱🤣

Watch they’ll claim lead is toxic so you must shoot a non-lead alternative.

Id buy less guns and more ammo and/or reloading supplies, in this environment you have to get what they offer while you can still get it.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like everything else, it depends.

If you're going to take on a big bunch of bad guys, 5 or 6 rounds before having to reload might not be a good choice.

If self defense is the goal then a 5 shot J frame might be the best choice or at least one of the best choices.

If you are the type of person that is going to run to the sound of gunfire and take on the active shooter(s) a mag that holds three times the number of the revolver makes sense. Given that we know it might take multiple rounds just to stop one bad guy or that the bad guy(s) might be armored and it could take several rounds before realizing your shots are having no effect.

If SELF defense is the goal we first need to define SELF defense. If we watch street crime videos we know how this works, the bad guy(s) will approach by either surprise or deception. He will step out of concealment and put a pistol in the good guys face or he will approach with a question or offer. Either way he has the advantage, he picks the time, distance, lighting and environment and most important he gets to start first. Until the threat or attack actually occurs the good guy can only partly prepare if there is time to prepare at all. The SELF defender will always be behind the curve. There are really only three types of attacks (with minor variations) that the SELF defender will encounter, robbery, physical attack and car jacking, none of these occur at long distance as they by their very nature have to be close up, probably within a couple of arms lengths or a little more. Given that the good guy will be drawing against an already drawn gun deception on the part of the defender has to come into play. A small pistol carried discreetly can help with the deception, as with any type of fighting a strike that is felt before it is seen pays off big, a J frame in a pocket might be just right.

I think each of us has to take into account of what we will and will not become involved and work from there, the mission drives the gear.

Last edited:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I normally carry my little 380 in warm weather or 1911 in cold, but I never feel under gunned with a revolver.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like everything else, it depends.

If you're going to take on a big bunch of bad guys, 5 or 6 rounds before having to reload might not be a good choice.

If self defense is the goal then a 5 shot J frame might be the best choice or at least one of the best choices.

If you are the type of person that is going to run to the sound of gunfire and take on the active shooter(s) a mag that holds three times the number of the revolver makes sense. Given that we know it might take multiple rounds just to stop one bad guy or that the bad guy(s) might be armored and it could take several rounds before realizing your shots are having no effect.

If SELF defense is the goal we first need to define SELF defense. If we watch street crime videos we know how this works, the bad guy(s) will approach by either surprise or deception. He will step out of concealment and put a pistol in the good guys face or he will approach with a question or offer. Either way he has the advantage, he picks the time, distance, lighting and environment and most important he gets to start first. Until the threat or attack actually occurs the good guy can only partly prepare if there is time to prepare at all. The SELF defender will always be behind the curve. There are really only three types of attacks (with minor variations) that the SELF defender will encounter, robbery, physical attack and car jacking, none of these occur at long distance as they by their very nature have to be close up, probably within a couple of arms lengths or a little more. Given that the good guy will be drawing against an already drawn gun deception on the part of the defender has to come into play. A small pistol carried discreetly can help with the deception, as with any type of fighting a strike that is felt before it is seen pays off big, a J frame in a pocket might be just right.

I think each of us has to take into account of what we will and will not become involved and work from there, the mission drives the gear.
Good analysis. I would only add be on heightened awareness, condition yellow, at all times in public, to give yourself the most situational awareness you can , reducing ( not eliminating) the attackers‘ surprise element.
More easily said than done.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awwwwwgh

I hate articles like these. REVOLVERS SUCK BIG TIME!

Do NOT buy them!

Stick with those plastic fantastic and BLOW THEIR LUNGS OUT!

All you accomplish in buying revolvers is driving up prices and keeping me from buying more.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As shotgun Joe says you only need a double barrel, so you’ll be limited to 2 shot capacity 😱🤣

Watch they’ll claim lead is toxic so you must shoot a non-lead alternative.

Id buy less guns and more ammo and/or reloading supplies, in this environment you have to get what they offer while you can still get it.
That’s what the have been doing with the military. 855 no longer has lead in it. Some other filler I can’t think of.

Had to look it up. Still has the steel tip but the body is solid copper now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom