Interesting night last night fire alarm went off in hotel but...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The elevators continue to work as normal unless the “fire override” key is used or if there actually is a fire and the buttons are heat sensitive and then you definitely don’t want to take the elevator. They don’t automatically go to the ground floor if an alarm is going off.

The alarms should NOT been silenced.
FD SHOULD have been called.
The clerk needs a LOT more training.

The clerk opened a wide door for a lawsuit if there had been a fire and someone had been hurt.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The elevators continue to work as normal unless the “fire override” key is used or if there actually is a fire and the buttons are heat sensitive and then you definitely don’t want to take the elevator. They don’t automatically go to the ground floor if an alarm is going off.

The alarms should NOT been silenced.
FD SHOULD have been called.
The clerk needs a LOT more training.

The clerk opened a wide door for a lawsuit if there had been a fire and someone had been hurt.

I was in no way trying to obtain evidence for a future lawsuit but rather I was curious as to what their reaction was because we all know human nature.

The only way they would have elevator control is if the fire alarm company provides a smoke detector / heat detector for the elevator within 15 ft of the elevator doors on each floor. The fire alarm then provides the wiring and programming to close a relay on the elevator controls. I recently was in a bank in Stillwater that replaced their fire alarm system. Once they did that, according to the new Oklahoma code, they had to purchase a all new elevator control that provides for elevator recall. The elevator has to be accessible to the public and have more than two floors to qualify for this mandatory code upgrade for 2019. After the new controls are installed we have to go back and install a smoke and a heat in the bottom of the shaft and a heat in the top. The sprinkler company has to come in and sprinkle the bottom and top too. That fire alarm change cost the bank a lot of money after the fact.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I noticed after our fire alarm fiasco here in Indiana that all the doors to the stairways are opened and held open by a magnetic device. Apparently, when the fire alarm goes off, those magnets are disabled, allowing the doors to close. Don't know about the elevator controls, but at least some things are automatic.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was on the 13th floor of a major hotel just outside of Washington DC. The fire alarm went off about midnight and I could smell a faint smoke order. The power was also out and the alarm was very faint. I started knocking on all the doors and then went to the stairwell, but the emergency lights were not on. It turned out to be the building power transformer that went out. After the fire department was through I went up the the fire captain and told him about he problems with the emergency lights and the low volume of the fire alarm. He was not very happy and told me they would be out the next day for a full fire inspection. They also required the hotel to have an employ on each floor for a fire watch before anyone could go back in.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I noticed after our fire alarm fiasco here in Indiana that all the doors to the stairways are opened and held open by a magnetic device. Apparently, when the fire alarm goes off, those magnets are disabled, allowing the doors to close. Don't know about the elevator controls, but at least some things are automatic.

Fire doors always puzzled me. It seems as if the fire marshal and life safety codes are purposely sacrificing some people to save others by utilizing these type of doors. They are usually used in hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living, etc. I have seen some of these doors that once they have been released and they close and lock, there is no opening them from one side. I would think that is blocking a possible fire exit route.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fire doors always puzzled me. It seems as if the fire marshal and life safety codes are purposely sacrificing some people to save others by utilizing these type of doors. They are usually used in hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living, etc. I have seen some of these doors that once they have been released and they close and lock, there is no opening them from one side. I would think that is blocking a possible fire exit route.

Multiple rounds to the lock set to open the fire doors?

Latest posts

Top Bottom