Internal or External Ejector on 1911?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is sort of a mechanical genius/simplicity/ballet of parts the way JMB designed the 1911. One piece holds in the next and that one holds in the next then the last piece slips in place and it is secured in place by the firing pin and firing pin return spring that went in just before it. Can't do that with an external extractor.

Woody

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i will own no 1911 with external extractor.
THIS ^^^ is a very common opine I am finding and a large part of why I asked the question. Had a Sig 1911 in 200? with a EE and it broke during the break in period of the gun. Sig made it right, but I have had it stuck in my head since that EE is bad. The S&W with the EE seems to have one heck of a following so now the water gets even muddier for me.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
THIS ^^^ is a very common opine I am finding and a large part of why I asked the question. Had a Sig 1911 in 200? with a EE and it broke during the break in period of the gun. Sig made it right, but I have had it stuck in my head since that EE is bad. The S&W with the EE seems to have one heck of a following so now the water gets even muddier for me.

Well Glock = perfection.... and Glock uses them. :D

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tamper NOT with the most magnificent of designs of John Moses Browning, nor criticize same, unless your Job Title is also Greatest Firearms Design Genius to Have Ever Lived. If a 1911 pistol was to have an external extractor, JMB would have designed it so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tamper NOT with the most magnificent of designs of John Moses Browning, nor criticize same, unless your Job Title is also Greatest Firearms Design Genius to Have Ever Lived. If a 1911 pistol was to have an external extractor, JMB would have designed it so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See signature... \/

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm not sure if I'm making this up or am recalling correctly (for Hi Powers, total tangent).
Original design had external extractor, but the contract required an internal one so thats what they made from the 30s to 60s, at which point they went to the external extractor as originally designed.

You know, you are right. I completely forgot about the original internal extractor models.

Latest posts

Top Bottom