Internet change but may have messed up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You do realize their “unlimited “ plan throttles your speed once you hit your data allowance right? It will be so slow you won’t be able to do squat with it.

This... Your first 22GB is pretty fast, everything beyond that is dial up slow... But dedicated hotspot hardware rocks high speed in perpetuity, as long as you pay for it.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You do realize their “unlimited “ plan throttles your speed once you hit your data allowance right? It will be so slow you won’t be able to do squat with it.
If the throttled speed is anything at or above 3Mb/s down it will still be better than what I have. From what I have found on the net ATT may or may not throttle depending on the load on the tower, guess we will have to see how it goes.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doing a little googling on this which I should have done before contacting ATT. Looks like the AT&T Unite Express 2 is a piece of junk regardless of how it's used. I will be returning it as it has already shipped. It does use a SIM card meaning it should come with the SIM card I will need for whatever I end up with.

Found this on Amazon...
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-LTE-...ion/dp/B01N5ASNTE/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_product_top
It also uses a SIM card, has a RJ45 port and can be used as a bridge from my existing router. Reviews are not too bad, just hoping I can plug in the SIM card and be ready to go.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a MiFi from Verizon that we use when traveling. While our "unlimited" plan is 15 gig, even when I use that all up, internet is still fairly quick for most internet uses. I doubt we could stream anything when it is throttled, and I dang sure couldn't upload any of my photos to my Smugmug account. However, even throttled, I can still watch YouTube videos pretty well.

We were having issues with internet here in the RV park where we are parked, so the owner's son suggested we get a booster. Bought one named "King," I think, and now we have great internet all the time on the park wifi. It's even fast for uploading big image files. Not that an RV park's wifi would help anyone other than park residents.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the throttled speed is anything at or above 3Mb/s down it will still be better than what I have. From what I have found on the net ATT may or may not throttle depending on the load on the tower, guess we will have to see how it goes.
They will throttle it to 600KBps. That’s half a meg down. I had this when I first bought my house because we didn’t have fiber yet. Now we do thankfully. But it was so bad I ended up getting a Verizon hotspot but it was the same way. It is bull crap that they can get around false advertising because they throttle your speed so technically you have “unlimited” but really you don’t. It’s pretty much useless when you go over the data limit. But you live in a different area then me so it may not get throttled like you said. I hope it works out good for you though. I know how bad it sucks not having good internet.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Little update...
Talked to AT&T today, under the new plan which is Unlimited Plus we will have 50Gig's of data before the throttle kicks in and even at that it will depend on how busy the tower is. We binge watched Netflix and Amazon prime all last weekend using my phone as a hot spot and only used about 7Gig. We typically only watch streaming video on weekends so am pretty sure we will be just fine with a 50Gig limit. Total bill with two phones and the router will be about $173.00 a month including fees and taxes. This will be about $20.00 higher than we are now paying for phones and internet. Difference is speed gain as I noted in the first post which will be well worth the 20 bucks. Atlas 3.17 down, ATT 41.6 down. With Atlas we had allot of pausing and broken connections especially with Amazon Prime, Netflix worked OK most of the time. This weekend we had no issues at all with either service using the ATT network. Have to admit it took a little arm bending to get that price and being with AT&T wireless for 30+ years didn't hurt.

The new router should be here tomorrow, ordered the one I mentioned above from Amazon. Received the ATT router yesterday. Thursday or Friday I am going to take the ATT router plus the new one to the company owned ATT store in Tulsa to return it and have them swap the SIM card. Easier than shipping it back and at the same time make sure the device change will go OK.

Latest posts

Top Bottom