Internet Service Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm so sick of Cox. Constantly raising the rates, no improvement in services. But their internet service is unmatched so far. ATT is running Fiber in my area, curious to see if it really helps them any.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm kinda in the same boat. I live in Collinsville and have ATT. It breaks constantly and is really slow. Apparently, ATT speeds are screaming fast in the newer additions outside of town, but I live in town and the lines just won't support anything faster. Anyone have experience with Cox in C'ville?

Hawkman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Thorgrim, it seems like most ISPs' tiers start at $40-45. I don't think you are getting ripped off, my wife and I pay $70/month for Cox's Preferred tier which works pretty well for just the two of us streaming 1080p Youtube videos or just web browsin'.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ATT is running Fiber in my area, curious to see if it really helps them any.
Good luck. I had 44k dialup until they ran fiber optic lines out to about 3/4 mile from my house. It dropped to 28k overnight, and has kept slowly dropping over the years until now I'm lucky to connect at 21k.

Complaining did no good. ATT informed me they only have to provide 19k for voice service on a standard phone line. Data is your problem.

EDIT: Ok... my current modem just died, and I replaced it with a $2.99 "ZOOM" modem I bought on eBay last August. And... my connection speed is 28.8k again. Probably not much to you guys, but when you get below 56k, every single "k" helps... :D

Last edited:

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Thorgrim, it seems like most ISPs' tiers start at $40-45. I don't think you are getting ripped off, my wife and I pay $70/month for Cox's Preferred tier which works pretty well for just the two of us streaming 1080p Youtube videos or just web browsin'.
I understand, it just bites that the cost has doubled in a period of 8-9 years.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been going through the same crap. Except I don't have any option other than satellite or at link. I refuse to pay that much money for something so bad. I recently discovered something called Verizon home fusion. They come in and install an antenna on your house and then run cable into your house to hook to a router. It looks like a modem. The problem with it is the price and data cap. I got the 30gb data package for $120. It's $10 per gig over. For now that is the best I can get. The internet works off of Verizon 4G LTE towers. So far it has been very reliable and super fast. I'm getting consistent speeds both down and up. To me it's a much better option that the other things out there. Might look into it. And you can run up to 20 devices wirelessly or 4 using an Ethernet cable.

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really wish that I had Cox back. Before building on a semi-rural neighborhood, we had 100mb Cox and it was great. Only had a few hiccups. Service was ~ $70 a month.

Now I have Windstream. Their 50mb is right at $100 a month. Cox has gigablast a mile from our 'hood... but say it would cost too much to build out the system over this way.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really wish that I had Cox back. Before building on a semi-rural neighborhood, we had 100mb Cox and it was great. Only had a few hiccups. Service was ~ $70 a month.

Now I have Windstream. Their 50mb is right at $100 a month. Cox has gigablast a mile from our 'hood... but say it would cost too much to build out the system over this way.
Be thankful you can get windstream. I have Vyve surrounding my addition everywhere but the idiots won't run service to use. We have almost 20 houses and they won't do it. So until something happens I will stick with Verizon. I wouldn't switch from that if it had a bigger data cap. It would be great if it had more data. The speed is great. And so far has been very reliable. Much more so than using a mifi or hotspot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom