IRS Agent Shot and Killed By Another Agent During Training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
The same could be said about some of us. Why do we have so much ammo? Why do we have so many firearms? Couldn’t we just call on one of the local law enforcement agencies when needed
I was looking up the numbers for this and thought to myself that I am pretty sure I have seen a few private collections that, if combined, would surpass the IRS’s collection. I can think of one guy that I’m pretty sure he has more ammo than the IRS reportedly has.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, according to an OpenTheBooks report titled The Militarization of U.S. Executive Agencies shows that, even without the proposed $80 billion increase in funding, the IRS Criminal Investigation Division (IRS-CI) is already heavily armed at the expense of the American taxpayer.

The current 4,600-gun stockpile includes:

3,282 pistols
621 shotguns
539 rifles
15 fully automatic firearms
4 revolvers

According to the Government Accountability Office the ammunition breakdown is as follows:

• Pistol and revolver rounds: 3,151,500
  • Rifle rounds: 1,472,050
  • Shotgun rounds: 367,750
  • Fully automatic firearm rounds: 56,000

According to Criminal Investigation (CI) At-a-Glance | Internal Revenue Service there is 2100 Special Agents within the IRS-CI, and I am willing to bet the vast majority of those individuals carry a firearm. That ends up equating to 1.5 handguns per special agent, with enough rifles and shotguns for every 3rd agent to get one, roughly. How I figure it probably works is that everybody gets a sidearm, there’s a handful of sidearms that sit in an armory somewhere because the government likes to have extras or leave broken stuff laying around in a corner, and there’s enough rifles and shotguns for a few tactical teams and a couple of guys to have backups. But just like most high speed guys, those tactical teams are likely very well funded and likely have extra crap just hiding in a closet somewhere because they had budget to burn.

Why so much ammo? Thats really not that much. The average military ordinance rounding error dwarfs these figures. But, they equate to 960 rounds per handgun, 2731 rounds per rifle, and 592 shotgun shells per shotgun. Typically, ammo is bought in contracts, and these typically end up being multi year contracts. They’re not gonna just send the boys to to bass pro with the company card to pick up a box of FMJ’s on the way to the range. They’re gonna buy enough for carry and training to last several years, and to keep said stockpile up if ammo shortages were to happen.
2100 agents. Thanks for the stats. 👍
It makes more sense to get the data & then forming an opinion. Kind of illustrates the nonsense of posts asking why do they need to carry a gun to go talk to someone about their tax return.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
2100 agents. Thanks for the stats. 👍
It makes more sense to get the data & then forming an opinion. Kind of illustrates the nonsense of posts asking why do they need to carry a gun to go talk to someone about their tax return.
Yeap! Honestly, While I’m not a huge fan of the overall militarization of non-military government personnel, I can understand. Typically, these guys aren’t armed to talk to guys like you and me, they’re armed because they have to go talk to guys like the mob or that guy who’s probably selling drugs and laundering money through his car wash. I would wanna be armed in those situations too.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
and theres not enough other agencies they can use if they are dealing with people like that? besides other federal cops they can call local for back up if they need something like swat. sorry but I don't see this as anything but joe arming another federal agency
The IRS has been armed since 1919 when they started fighting to uphold prohibition laws. Yes, the Democrats armed them, but it wasn't 'uncle joe' that did it.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just like on any topic, there are some who just spew their thoughts/beliefs without any facts and there are some who appear to research and try to post informed opinions. Good for you.

I read these posts and often talk/scream to my screen. I decided to provide my .02 worth. Some will poo poo this and spew their preconceived thoughts and some will honestly take the info, weigh it with their own common sense and give my words whatever credibility they decide.

Some information about me so you can see my biases…born Okie, lived here almost 60 years. Brother and nephew are police officers in a big city three hours south. Immediate family members employment includes Federal Bureau of Prisons, Air Marshal, FBI analyst, and my son and several nephews are Jarheads. My brother-in-law lost his legs as a result of a parachute training accident with the Airborne Rangers and is seen often on the Tunnel to Towers commercials for receiving a home. My family tends to suck at the government teat. I come from a religious family with conservative views, stand for the flag, and scream at the TV for silly **** going on in the world today.

I was a Special Agent with IRS-Criminal Investigations for 28 years. My comments are all based on working as an agent, never in management, nor serving in Washington, just Oklahoma. I will throw out a few scattered comments for consideration…

The IRS operates under Disclosure laws that apply specifically to the agency. Your income tax information CANNOT be shared with others, except for a few exceptions, by law. For instance, YOU can authorize a bank have access to return information. Generally, other federal agencies or law enforcement (police departments included) cannot get your tax return information, they don't have statutory authority. (On limited occasions, an ex-parte order granted by a federal judge can be approved in a criminal investigation but is not common.) Because of disclosure laws, if I were working a straight income tax evasion case, the information cannot be shared to another agency. On these cases, we conducted our own search warrants and arrest warrants just as any other law enforcement agency would. I could be fired and or prosecuted for disclosure, by statute.

I know it's hard for you to believe, but most law enforcement agencies do not have forensic accountants available to them. Since most crimes involve money in one way, shape or form, our agents were in high demand if the dollar value of the theft/embezzlement/drug operation/frauds/scams were high enough to reach federal guideline levels. Our jurisdiction in these types of case was investigating money laundering. Follow the money. And that’s what we do.

Since we are as involved as the other agency working the case, we carried LEO authority and participate with enforcement activities necessary.

When I retired, each agent was issued a Glock 9mm and body armor. Our office had Remington 870 or 1187 shotguns available and S&W .223s. These stayed in the vault and were not issued except for certain enforcement actions. However, we did train with them on a QUARTERLY basis, more than my brother, the Dallas cop (which a sad statement). We went through a lot of ammo on a training day. Sometimes the training consisted of role playing with Sim guns or airsoft guns and occasionally on the FATS machine. The training was always top notch and very professional.

For many years, Tinker AFB OSI held a yearly shooting competition for the federal agencies in the state. The competition would generally host 1 to 2 four-man teams per agency. Teams included FBI (who sent their tac team), Secret Service, ATF, DEA, IRS-CI, US Postal Inspectors, BOP, Air Force OSI and some I can’t remember. Several years in a row, IRS-CI took 2nd place, right behind the FBI TAC team members. During the other times, we were always near the top. The accounting nerds consistently showed in the upper end of the competition.

Thats a tiny glimps. If anyone has a question or wants further clarification on an IRS-CI issue, I would be happy to provide a real view from a real agent, good or bad. If you want to spout ******** responses, that’s fine also. I know how to scroll on…

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just like on any topic, there are some who just spew their thoughts/beliefs without any facts and there are some who appear to research and try to post informed opinions. Good for you.

I read these posts and often talk/scream to my screen. I decided to provide my .02 worth. Some will poo poo this and spew their preconceived thoughts and some will honestly take the info, weigh it with their own common sense and give my words whatever credibility they decide.

Some information about me so you can see my biases…born Okie, lived here almost 60 years. Brother and nephew are police officers in a big city three hours south. Immediate family members employment includes Federal Bureau of Prisons, Air Marshal, FBI analyst, and my son and several nephews are Jarheads. My brother-in-law lost his legs as a result of a parachute training accident with the Airborne Rangers and is seen often on the Tunnel to Towers commercials for receiving a home. My family tends to suck at the government teat. I come from a religious family with conservative views, stand for the flag, and scream at the TV for silly **** going on in the world today.

I was a Special Agent with IRS-Criminal Investigations for 28 years. My comments are all based on working as an agent, never in management, nor serving in Washington, just Oklahoma. I will throw out a few scattered comments for consideration…

The IRS operates under Disclosure laws that apply specifically to the agency. Your income tax information CANNOT be shared with others, except for a few exceptions, by law. For instance, YOU can authorize a bank have access to return information. Generally, other federal agencies or law enforcement (police departments included) cannot get your tax return information, they don't have statutory authority. (On limited occasions, an ex-parte order granted by a federal judge can be approved in a criminal investigation but is not common.) Because of disclosure laws, if I were working a straight income tax evasion case, the information cannot be shared to another agency. On these cases, we conducted our own search warrants and arrest warrants just as any other law enforcement agency would. I could be fired and or prosecuted for disclosure, by statute.

I know it's hard for you to believe, but most law enforcement agencies do not have forensic accountants available to them. Since most crimes involve money in one way, shape or form, our agents were in high demand if the dollar value of the theft/embezzlement/drug operation/frauds/scams were high enough to reach federal guideline levels. Our jurisdiction in these types of case was investigating money laundering. Follow the money. And that’s what we do.

Since we are as involved as the other agency working the case, we carried LEO authority and participate with enforcement activities necessary.

When I retired, each agent was issued a Glock 9mm and body armor. Our office had Remington 870 or 1187 shotguns available and S&W .223s. These stayed in the vault and were not issued except for certain enforcement actions. However, we did train with them on a QUARTERLY basis, more than my brother, the Dallas cop (which a sad statement). We went through a lot of ammo on a training day. Sometimes the training consisted of role playing with Sim guns or airsoft guns and occasionally on the FATS machine. The training was always top notch and very professional.

For many years, Tinker AFB OSI held a yearly shooting competition for the federal agencies in the state. The competition would generally host 1 to 2 four-man teams per agency. Teams included FBI (who sent their tac team), Secret Service, ATF, DEA, IRS-CI, US Postal Inspectors, BOP, Air Force OSI and some I can’t remember. Several years in a row, IRS-CI took 2nd place, right behind the FBI TAC team members. During the other times, we were always near the top. The accounting nerds consistently showed in the upper end of the competition.

Thats a tiny glimps. If anyone has a question or wants further clarification on an IRS-CI issue, I would be happy to provide a real view from a real agent, good or bad. If you want to spout ******** responses, that’s fine also. I know how to scroll on…
These are the kind of posts I hope for every day while skimming forums.

user 51785

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The IRS has been armed since 1919 when they started fighting to uphold prohibition laws. Yes, the Democrats armed them, but it wasn't 'uncle joe' that did it.
Never said it was "uncle joe" who armed them, only saying he is making it worse like everything else he touches. but fans of his will say anything to defend him i guess

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, according to an OpenTheBooks report titled The Militarization of U.S. Executive Agencies shows that, even without the proposed $80 billion increase in funding, the IRS Criminal Investigation Division (IRS-CI) is already heavily armed at the expense of the American taxpayer.

The current 4,600-gun stockpile includes:

3,282 pistols
621 shotguns
539 rifles
15 fully automatic firearms
4 revolvers

According to the Government Accountability Office the ammunition breakdown is as follows:

• Pistol and revolver rounds: 3,151,500
  • Rifle rounds: 1,472,050
  • Shotgun rounds: 367,750
  • Fully automatic firearm rounds: 56,000

According to Criminal Investigation (CI) At-a-Glance | Internal Revenue Service there is 2100 Special Agents within the IRS-CI, and I am willing to bet the vast majority of those individuals carry a firearm. That ends up equating to 1.5 handguns per special agent, with enough rifles and shotguns for every 3rd agent to get one, roughly. How I figure it probably works is that everybody gets a sidearm, there’s a handful of sidearms that sit in an armory somewhere because the government likes to have extras or leave broken stuff laying around in a corner, and there’s enough rifles and shotguns for a few tactical teams and a couple of guys to have backups. But just like most high speed guys, those tactical teams are likely very well funded and likely have extra crap just hiding in a closet somewhere because they had budget to burn.

Why so much ammo? Thats really not that much. The average military ordinance rounding error dwarfs these figures. But, they equate to 960 rounds per handgun, 2731 rounds per rifle, and 592 shotgun shells per shotgun. Typically, ammo is bought in contracts, and these typically end up being multi year contracts. They’re not gonna just send the boys to to bass pro with the company card to pick up a box of FMJ’s on the way to the range. They’re gonna buy enough for carry and training to last several years, and to keep said stockpile up if ammo shortages were to happen.
Lol. Fully automatic firearms rounds…
Bet it’s the same rounds that work in their pistols or rifles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom