Is a tractor worth it???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never owned a tractor. I’ve got a lot of projects on my property that need a loader and a grading/scraper. As I get to the project I rent a bobcat/skid steer. I’m at a little more than 2k in rentals over the past year and am looking at 4-6k over the next year to 2-3 years.

I have to time things around it and wait for several projects to come together. For instance, I need to move several large trees from our seasonal creek, re-grade a driveway, pull boulders from one area to another, pull a couple tree stumps and build a small retaining wall. All of these projects require the bobcat for maybe an hour of work so it’s annoying to gather 10 projects to get my moneys worth.

Would it be worth it to get a compact tractor with loader and some a grading blade? Mainly does the maintenance spiral on those things? I have a couple used tractors around me that I can get for $2-5k in different conditions. I just don’t want to think I’m gonna save money and then end up with a money pit. I can do all the maintenance myself. Also how hard is it to operate them compare to a skid steer? Are power levels somewhat comparable?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t know what kind of tractor your looking at in the $2-5k range, but it’s either a smoking deal or a complete POS.

I can’t imagine being without a tractor, and I’ve had at least one for over 30 years.

I also have a skid steer, and each is better at certain things. I could do without the skid steer, but I couldn’t do without my tractor.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are used to doing work with a bobcat then you will probably be disappointed with the capabilities of a small cheap tractor. Those little tractors don’t have the hydraulic strength of a bobcat and the loaders are designed for light work. Skidsteers are designed to lift and grade. Little tractors are capable of doing more things once you factor in a 3 point and pto but they will not do any of the lifting and dirt work as well as a skid steer. My suggestion would be that you rent a small tractor first and see if it fits your needs. If I was only going to have one piece of equipment……..man that’d be tough to decide. Also, like retrieverman kinda said, I can’t imagine you’re gonna get much tractor for $2-5k.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More about hydraulic lifting capacity. One of our tractors is a new holland t5060 (about 100hp) and it will not lift anywhere near what our Bobcat s770 (92hp) will lift. Both pieces have their place though. I’m one that wants capability over comfort. I’ll take power over comfort any day. Also a 4x4 tractor is not just for mud. Usually a 4x4 tractor has larger front tires which equate to a smoother ride and better handling with a load on the front.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going to look at one today. It’s a Ford 1210 so their compact line. It’s got a loader, brush hog, grader, and a scoop all for around 5k probably. He said the battery was stolen but it ran just fine as of about 6 months ago.

The biggest thing is the small jobs. Like loading the trees from the creek and moving small boulders. A skid steer is overkill, but otherwise it’s wrapping a chain round each one and pulling them with my truck. I tried my ATV but it didn’t budge either the trees or the rocks.

I feel like I could use it a ton but I don’t have enough property to justify dropping 10-12k especially because I wouldn’t be able to make money off it.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m going to look at one today. It’s a Ford 1210 so their compact line. It’s got a loader, brush hog, grader, and a scoop all for around 5k probably. He said the battery was stolen but it ran just fine as of about 6 months ago.

The biggest thing is the small jobs. Like loading the trees from the creek and moving small boulders. A skid steer is overkill, but otherwise it’s wrapping a chain round each one and pulling them with my truck. I tried my ATV but it didn’t budge either the trees or the rocks.

I feel like I could use it a ton but I don’t have enough property to justify dropping 10-12k especially because I wouldn’t be able to make money off it.
In my opinion, there’s no such thing as overkill when referring to tractors and tractor work, but an alligator mouth can definitely overload a hummingbird @ss if you go with too small of a tractor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom