Zero Turn Mower Maintenance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard people using Pam cooking spray to coat under their deck but has to be clean when applied to help keep grass clipping from sticking personally never tried it.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, same mower, same issue. I just cleaned mine last night and got about 20 pounds worth.

Been told the blades spin so fast on these Hustlers that it will pack in the dirt. Told me a lot of the commercial guys back them on the ramp with a sprinkler under it for a few minutes. That is what I did with the RR Ties. I am going to see if one of the water hose washers will fit. It should help some. One guy I know says mow right after a ran if you get build up, says it cleans them up! Hmmmmmm!

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think our hired hand that handles the majority of our mowing mows enough gravel and other things that aren’t meant to be mowed that it keeps the bottom of the deck clean. That’s why I said majority above. He’s not allowed to mow any area near my house, vehicles, chicken coops or batting cage anymore.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Time to change fluids and thought I would toss on a set of blades. Knew I needed them.

Here is where it went sideways, I have owned, remodeled, and built several homes. This one we have kept as a place to come back to from travel and between homes we used to remodel/build. It has the widest soil I have ever seen.

All the other homes and even our Farms don’t have soil like this, it is dark and rich but when it is dry, you cannot stick a shovel in it, when it’s wet it digs almost like sand! So the mower deck cuts the grass gets a little moisture or if I mow when it’s a little damp, it sucks the dust up and with even just the moisture of the grass being cut it will pack the deck like concrete.

The only way to keep the deck clean is pull it up on RR Ties with a sprinkler staked good into the ground and let the mower run while the sprinkler soaks and helps clean it. A Big Ass Pain in the Ass! We moved back into this home between Choctaw and Harrah and I had taken the RR Tie mower ramp apart and did not use it at the end of of last summer and mowing a few times this year has done what you see in the photos!

Any of you with Zero Turns have soil that does the same thing? Anyone have their decks pack up bad?

I Jacked up the mower and take a steel scraper to it and get this pile. I guess the pile to be around 30 to 40lbs worth.

View attachment 370013View attachment 370014
I have a Hustler Fastrak 48" that collects dirt and grass like that. I don't know how much my soil has to do with it. The dealer I bought it from will no longer sell the 48 due to this problem.

I have been able to improve it by widening the chute and keeping air in tires at 10 psi.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Hustler Fastrak 48" that collects dirt and grass like that. I don't know how much my soil has to do with it. The dealer I bought it from will no longer sell the 48 due to this problem.

I have been able to improve it by widening the chute and keeping air in tires at 10 psi.
Mine does the same thing. Why do you think the tire air pressure helps? I haven’t tried that.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Interesting! I am assuming it is a design error on the deck configuration. I like the mower as I have wore out Grasshoppers and Cub Cadets as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom