Is a tractor worth it???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I figured there’d be enough experience with tractors here that I could get a good opinion. I just hate renting tools. I’ll take a look at the tractor, but I’ll probably just end up going with the skid steers until I could justify something else.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought my first tractor in 2017. I'm on my fourth one now and already looking to upgrade to something a little more capable.

After I got my first one and started realizing all the things I could do with it, I wondered how I was able to survive 56 years without one.

I have a JD 3025E right now. It's a lot more capable than I thought it would be for a 25hp tractor and it does pretty much everything I need it to do. But, it's like a gun safe. It's really easy to outgrow a small one.

I've decided for my next tractor, if I think I need 1000 lbs of lifting capacity (which isn't much, BTW), I'm gonna look for something that'll handle 50% more than that. My next one will be in the 45 to 55 hp range.

greentractortalk.com is a really good resource for information on all things tractor and some other types of equipment (like skid steers).

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In 2008 I bit on one of those JD deals I picked up a small 4x4 ( a must) utility tractor. Best $150/month I ever spent. I packaged a box blade, loader, brush hog, tiller and pallet forks into the deal. You won’t believe it but the pallet forks are most my used implement. Moving tons of brush and trees. Off loading things like refrigerators, gun safes, feed etc from my truck to my barn or front door. My only regret is that I didn’t do it sooner. The smaller size I got is perfect for my acreage as it can go under and between trees etc that my neighbors larger kubota has trouble doing. I can easily load it on my 16’ trailer and take it to my hunting property for work as well. . With the ‘I-match’ 3pt hitch you can change implements without ever getting off the tractor

Last edited:

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you would be surprised what you can do with a well equipped old tractor. the smalles i would get would be a 2000 ford or an 805 or is it 806 ford. with ballast in the tires and wheel weights they can be pretty good dependable easy tractor to fix. but find the ford loader that was made for it. then there are 424 iH or 2010 john deere etc that are heavy enough to work. the old belarus 400 0r 500 are good simple cheap tractors and most will have a front end loader on them as well.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my little 35 HP tractor at auction for $1700 IIRC, It had a cracked head that I didnt know about. Had it welded up and machined for $700. Never did another thing to it other than change the oil and put a new set of shoes on it once. I'd put new batteries in my F-350 and use the older ones to replace the tractor battery.
Had it 15 years and sold it as a package deal with a Box Blade, 5' brush hog, 3 point round bale spike and a 16' trailer for $4500, so I think I got my money back plus 15 years of use (the trailer was free to me initially).
I also had a 3 point 60 gal sprayer that I paid $450 for, I sold it separately for $400.
I could.
There used to be a masive tractor action in Broken Bow once a month. It was a HUGE tractor action that lasted 4 day IIRC. Alot of stupid good deals.
Alot of used tractor sales guys would go and stock their lot with those deals. I'd check into that if I wanted a tractor again.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In 2008 I bit on one of those JD deals I picked up a small 4x4 ( a must) utility tractor. Best $150/month I ever spent. I packaged a box blade, loader, brush hog, tiller and pallet forks into the deal. You won’t believe it but the pallet forks are most my used implement. Moving tons of brush and trees. Off loading things like refrigerators, gun safes, feed etc from my truck to my barn or front door. My only regret is that I didn’t do it sooner. The smaller size I got is perfect for my acreage as it can go under and between trees etc that my neighbors larger kubota has trouble doing. I can easily load it on my 16’ trailer and take it to my hunting property for woe as well. With the ‘I-match’ 3pt hitch you can change implements without ever getting off the tractor

Pallet forks are a must in my opinion. I use my loader more...but the forks get a workout.

There's a couple of great YouTube channels with tons of information:

Ask Tractor Mike
Tractor Time With Tim

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m going to look at one today. It’s a Ford 1210 so their compact line. It’s got a loader, brush hog, grader, and a scoop all for around 5k probably. He said the battery was stolen but it ran just fine as of about 6 months ago.

The biggest thing is the small jobs. Like loading the trees from the creek and moving small boulders. A skid steer is overkill, but otherwise it’s wrapping a chain round each one and pulling them with my truck. I tried my ATV but it didn’t budge either the trees or the rocks.

I feel like I could use it a ton but I don’t have enough property to justify dropping 10-12k especially because I wouldn’t be able to make money off it.
If you use a tractor for this, be DAMN sure you hook the chain low on the ass end of the tractor, no higher than the rear axle height, otherwise that tractor will be on top of you in a split second and your dead.
Heard of this incidence more than once and its deadly every time.
Tractors can be very dangerous if you get lax.

Latest posts

Top Bottom