Is a tractor worth it???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys were right. Went to see it and it was super tiny. They were also trying to sell the crap out of a POS. No thanks.

Back to looking. Lol. Thanks for all the opinions. I’ll be upsizing my search for sure. I don’t think that one would have budge some of the boulders I have to move.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I'm lifting anything substantial and need ballast I throw the box blade on the back. If it's really heavy I'll use the brush hog if space isn't an issue.

I need to get some RimGuard in my tires.
rimguard is what i used in my rear tires. not quite as heavy as calcium but not corrosive. my other tractor has just water with alcohol to prevent freezing. but even with the rear tires full the mx5100 is still useless with any weight in the bucket or on the forks. i am very disappointed in this tractor.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys were right. Went to see it and it was super tiny. They were also trying to sell the crap out of a POS. No thanks.

Back to looking. Lol. Thanks for all the opinions. I’ll be upsizing my search for sure. I don’t think that one would have budge some of the boulders I have to move.
if you get a tractor with a good three point hitch it will transfer some of the weight of the load to the tractor improving traction. use tractordata.com to look up the lift specs on the models you might find. it will help you determine the correct tractor for your needs

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
rimguard is what i used in my rear tires. not quite as heavy as calcium but not corrosive. my other tractor has just water with alcohol to prevent freezing. but even with the rear tires full the mx5100 is still useless with any weight in the bucket or on the forks. i am very disappointed in this tractor.
I looked at a couple MX5100’s before I bought my M7040, and I think the frame on that tractor is similar in length to the old M5700’s. I had a M5700 4x4 with a cab, and that was the tipiest tractor I’ve ever had even with the tires filled and a hay bale on the back. That’s also the tractor that burned up last year.
0B0AC7E4-AB8C-4B47-8802-A9FBFC24370C.jpeg

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yessir and the newer tractors are getting worse as far as stability and ride comfort. They keep making them smaller and more compact. Heck yeah they are more nimble and nice for working in tight spots but they ride in the field like crap with these short wheelbases and lightweight construction. My experience is based on 90hp to 120hp tractors built from the 70’s to current. Those old 40 series John Deere’s have what appears to be a 20’ long hood but that’s why they ride decent and can carry quite a bit of weight. In my opinion, you used to could get by with a smaller horse tractor because it had some lead in its ass. Nowadays I wouldn’t want to operate anything younger than 20 years old that is less than 90hp. It’s cool they are squeezing more power into a smaller package but there’s definitely negatives.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at a couple MX5100’s before I bought my M7040, and I think the frame on that tractor is similar in length to the old M5700’s. I had a M5700 4x4 with a cab, and that was the tipiest tractor I’ve ever had even with the tires filled and a hay bale on the back. That’s also the tractor that burned up last year.
View attachment 366653
That’ll buff out.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve owned or operated tractors most of my life for farming. All pulling tractors.
Never had one with a front loader. After buying a 35 hp Mahindra diesel with a 6’ bucket, I’ll never be without one ever again. Lift capacity is 2500 lbs and I’ve tested that rating.
For the OP, always look at the weight of the tractor you’re looking at and compare it with other similar models. You would be really surprised at how much difference there is. One can always put a tiller or something similar on the three point for counter balance when lifting.
I’ll agree with some about the forks being extremely handy. I actually copied a design and built my own that look like the one in the pic with some modifications. When we get tree limbs down, I can just drive around the place and scoop up a big pile.

NorTrac Clamp-On Debris Forks — 60in.W, 4500-Lb. Capacity

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my opinion, you used to could get by with a smaller horse tractor because it had some lead in its ass.
I've tried to explain this condition to many people who say I'm not getting enough done. It's because the iron in my blood has turned to lead in my ass.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A counter balance will do more good when using the front bucket and the wheel ballast will help with traction, the farther away from the tractor the counter balance is the better that is why a brushhog is better if it is a heavy one.
Unless you’re working in dense trees as I am often doing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom