Is a tractor worth it???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you’re working in dense trees as I am often doing.
I’m actually going to build a ballast box to fit the three point. I have almost 500 lbs of tractor weights in the fence row and a sheet of 1/4” steel to build the box. Hang the weights off the back and fill the box with concrete.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used one of those 3-point carry alls from tractor supply as my base. Worked out well. I also used one of those to hang with about 4” chains an old fashion harrow. That way you can pick it up and back up to where you want to be. Works great for scratching the ground for broadcast seeding or smoothing a gravel road.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used one of those 3-point carry alls from tractor supply as my base. Worked out well. I also used one of those to hang with about 4” chains an old fashion harrow. That way you can pick it up and back up to where you want to be. Works great for scratching the ground for broadcast seeding or smoothing a gravel road.
Those old harrows with the spikes will do a great job smoothing out an area.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those old harrows with the spikes will do a great job smoothing out an area.
Yep. Just dragging it like it was designed is good but you can get yourself in a pickle if not careful. That’s why being able to pick it up and back up with it is so great.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grampa had a Ford 3000 with the 3cyl gas engine. Only 44HP or so, but it was mind boggling the things it could do. He bought it from a dealer but talked to the old farmer that had traded it in. He farmed 160 acres with it.

An older tractor along these lines would definitely do a lot of what you want to do and I would think one could be had in your budget, but it will be older which you may not want to mess with.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grampa had a Ford 3000 with the 3cyl gas engine. Only 44HP or so, but it was mind boggling the things it could do. He bought it from a dealer but talked to the old farmer that had traded it in. He farmed 160 acres with it.

An older tractor along these lines would definitely do a lot of what you want to do and I would think one could be had in your budget, but it will be older which you may not want to mess with.
excellent tractor the ford 3000.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
excellent tractor the ford 3000.
That whole Thousand series was an excellent line. I have my dad’s ‘68-ish 4000 that he converted to diesel by installing a ‘96-ish 3-cylinder out of a New Holland backhoe, and that thing will do just about anything I need it to do. All it would need would be a front end loader and it’d be about perfect for what the OP is describing. (Mine is not for sale, though.)

That’s one of the nice things about those 3-cylinder Fords—those engines will interchange from the late ’60s up to the late ‘90s. I’m told that they even kept using them in New Holland tractors for many years after Ford sold off that business.

I also have my dad’s ‘13 Massey Ferguson 2615. It’s a similar size and power rating as the gasoline version of the 4000 (48hp, IIRC), but that diesel 4000 is so much more capable that it’s not even funny.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That whole Thousand series was an excellent line. I have my dad’s ‘68-ish 4000 that he converted to diesel by installing a ‘96-ish 3-cylinder out of a New Holland backhoe, and that thing will do just about anything I need it to do. All it would need would be a front end loader and it’d be about perfect for what the OP is describing. (Mine is not for sale, though.)

That’s one of the nice things about those 3-cylinder Fords—those engines will interchange from the late ’60s up to the late ‘90s. I’m told that they even kept using them in New Holland tractors for many years after Ford sold off that business.

I also have my dad’s ‘13 Massey Ferguson 2615. It’s a similar size and power rating as the gasoline version of the 4000 (48hp, IIRC), but that diesel 4000 is so much more capable that it’s not even funny.
the same in the older models. i have a model 2000 four cyl that original was a utility model with a powershift transmission. it now has a five speed manual out of a newer ford that just bolted on no problem. i have seen these go forever and parts aren't hard to find. i could have probably bought four tractors or at least a whole bunch of accessories for the price of my kubota. hind sight is 20-20

Latest posts

Top Bottom