Is freedom of speech really worth potentially upsetting someone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is freedom of speech really worth potentially upsetting someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Presumptuous? Have you heard about Paris? Just because someone has a right to free speech doesn't mean there will be no consequence for using that right. Westboro folks are the first that come to mind. Just because nobody has had the balls to kick the complete **** out of all those people, doesn't mean it wont happen some day. Am I against free speech, no. I'm against those that hide behind free speech to say disgusting things, then think they shouldn't be held accountable for what they say. Freedom of speech is not a freedom without consequences. If what you're saying is worth the consequences, then so be it.

Speaking one's mind is not a crime. Assault and battery are. Are you suggesting that criminal action is the appropriate (or at least acceptable) response to non-criminal action that causes no tangible harm?

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for being so understanding with me you deserve to voice your opinion same as all Americans do under the Constitution. I appreciate your service, my father was a retired Marine, I grew up in the San Diego area. Im glad 2 people can have a disagreement and it end well, sadly some cant do that.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I spent most of my career in Oceanside with the Marines. Have a HUGE amount of respect for them. I doubt we disagree as much as you think. I just have a poor way of communicating things sometimes.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking one's mind is not a crime. Assault and battery are. Are you suggesting that criminal action is the appropriate (or at least acceptable) response to non-criminal action that causes no tangible harm?

Not at all. I'm saying that freedom of speech has it's consequences. And those that hide behind that freedom should be aware of that. You can go up to a 300 pound bodyguard and talk trash about his momma, but that doesn't mean he's going to appreciate your right to freedom of speech.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry if I offended anyone. I spent most of my career in Oceanside with the Marines. Have a HUGE amount of respect for them. I doubt we disagree as much as you think. I just have a poor way of communicating things sometimes.

You got nothing to apologize for. We should all be able to throw our opinions out there and see what sticks and what doesnt and then discuss things from all of our different angles. Thats what we're here for. Hence the need for forums like these to bounce stuff off each other. Talking about physically hurting someone though for speaking their minds (with protection of the 1st Amendment to back themselves up with) is not responsible, even tho I will agree that some do deserve it- right now Seth Rogen and Micheal Moore both come to mind for their comments about 'American Sniper'- but no matter how much we really want to shut someone up for saying some fcked up shite- Westboro members, etc- we are bound by the laws that you gave an oath to protect not to act on those desires. The least of which we can lose our CC permits for aggravated assault and the worse being if we really were to hurt someone we could be strapped with a felony and lose a lot of our stuff, not just money but our freedom and certain rights. I dont know about you but Im too old to go to jail. The old days are over where things were solved out behind in the alley. Nobody takes an azz kicking these days and gets up and hugs it out like at The Hurricane biker bar on Friday night. Too litigious of a society today, people will sue you in a heart beat for any little thing these days. You just cant go around physically shutting people up, no matter how bad we want to, and for saying anything that they want to say. No matter what they say. There are people who just dont have a filter when it comes to the shite they spew out of their mouths. As legal law abiding responsible gun owners and concealed carry permit holders, we just gotta let it go tho. Be the better man BS. Talk is just that, talk. Let em talk, apparently its their right.

Last edited:

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not at all. I'm saying that freedom of speech has it's consequences. And those that hide behind that freedom should be aware of that. You can go up to a 300 pound bodyguard and talk trash about his momma, but that doesn't mean he's going to appreciate your right to freedom of speech.

Well, let me put it a little more directly, then: if the facts were exactly as you describe, and you were on his jury at the battery trial, would you vote to convict, or would you give your tacit approval and vote to acquit?

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, let me put it a little more directly, then: if the facts were exactly as you describe, and you were on his jury at the battery trial, would you vote to convict, or would you give your tacit approval and vote to acquit?

If the guy got a bloody nose for saying something stupid......I'd say Karma's a b*tch. Let me also specify. I'm talking about the "real world". Not about a bunch of guy's sitting around talking trash/having fun on OSA. If someone came up to you and said something horrendous about your wife, child, etc....and you punched them in the nose, so be it. Sometimes people need to be taught manners. Call me John Wayne, but I see nothing wrong with that at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom