Is freedom of speech really worth potentially upsetting someone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is freedom of speech really worth potentially upsetting someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not on an Internet forum. If it's not face to face, why bother.
On a side note, if a thread is so egregious as to deserve a lock, shouldn't it be deleted completely?
In an ideal world (IMO) a felted thread would be replaced by an explanation.
And I'm glad I'm not tasked with either.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i.imgur.com_31HAiwM.gif

th

Agree 100% as long as your free speech is accompanied by your real name.

Never heard of of the Federalist Papers? Many of the essays were written under pseudonyms. I write under a screen name, but everyone who's been on here for a while knows who I am and what I do. I'm not hiding from anyone and while I can be diplomatic in person, I'm just as likely to play devil's advocate and be passionate in a face to face debate. I've had friends tell me that someone asked whether I was about to get in a fight with someone, and they had to tell them "No, they're friends". LOL

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The United States has a long, rich history of anonymous speech, particularly on political matters.

Do you really want to be forced to sign your real name to the poster saying "Death to King George?"

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry, it just seems awfully presumptuous to think that a person with a smart azzed mouth or pen/typewriter/computer, etc but is speaking out with protection of the 1st Amendment won't have the physical means to defend themselves against someone who doesnt like what they're saying and is threatening them with physical violence if they say what they're about to say. To say go ahead and say what you want but you might get your azz kicked for saying it is presumptuous, and is akin to shutting down people with something to say by potentially bullying them quiet- the very opposite of the 1st Amendment. Maybe theyre just a bad azz with a smart azzed mouth and said what they had to say in a legal manner, and now you may have just picked the wrong person to try and shut up.

Presumptuous? Have you heard about Paris? Just because someone has a right to free speech doesn't mean there will be no consequence for using that right. Westboro folks are the first that come to mind. Just because nobody has had the balls to kick the complete **** out of all those people, doesn't mean it wont happen some day. Am I against free speech, no. I'm against those that hide behind free speech to say disgusting things, then think they shouldn't be held accountable for what they say. Freedom of speech is not a freedom without consequences. If what you're saying is worth the consequences, then so be it.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's awfully dangerous to wish or enact violence upon someone for what they say(even if what they say is disgusting or despicable).....if we make that okay, what's to stop the government from coming to your house an shutting you up?

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Presumptuous? Have you heard about Paris? Just because someone has a right to free speech doesn't mean there will be no consequence for using that right. Westboro folks are the first that come to mind. Just because nobody has had the balls to kick the complete **** out of all those people, doesn't mean it wont happen some day. Am I against free speech, no. I'm against those that hide behind free speech to say disgusting things, then think they shouldn't be held accountable for what they say. Freedom of speech is not a freedom without consequences. If what you're saying is worth the consequences, then so be it.
Yes, I know all about what happened in France, it was tragic, and it hit close to home as Im part French and have relatives there, my mother visits there regularly. And yes I know all about those Topeka based Westboro fckheads, I got to see them once down here. My post was just referring to posting here and if something was said around here. I do think it presumptuous to tell someone that they can say what they want but if they do theyre possibly gonna "get the **** kicked out of them" and my opinion was what if they went to do their kickin and got their azz kicked instead. I stand behind what I said. If I say something that someone doesnt like and instead of a PM to square things away I get threatened for it then you can bet I will give an invitation to come and attempt to shut my smart azz mouth for me. Attempt. Im definitely no troll or internet badazz who hides anonymously behind an ID and talks junk to people, Ive been around here going on 8 years and have had no problem with any one person not even once. But, all anyone has to do is just click the Facebook button below on my page and you have all my info and will be able to find out anything you want about me and you can get ahold of me real quick if you want to 'attempt' to "kick the **** out of me" for something I may have said. Sounds like fun. Im always looking for a good sparring session, bring your own gloves or I can provide them if necessary.

Last edited:

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I know all about what happened in France, it was tragic, and it hit close to home as Im part French and have relatives there, my mother visits there regularly. And yes I know all about those Topeka based Westboro fckheads, I got to see them once down here. My post was just referring to posting here and if something was said around here. I do think it presumptuous to tell someone that they can say what they want but if they do theyre possibly gonna "get the **** kicked out of them" and my opinion was what if they went to do their kickin and got their azz kicked instead. I stand behind what I said. If I say something that someone doesnt like and instead of a PM to square things away I get threatened for it then you can bet I will give an invitation to come and attempt to shut my smart azz mouth for me. Attempt. Im definitely no troll or internet badazz who hides anonymously behind an ID and talks junk to people, Ive been around here going on 8 years and have had no problem with any one person not even once. But, all anyone has to do is just click the Facebook button below on my page and you have all my info and will be able to find out anything you want about me and you can get ahold of me real quick if you want to 'attempt' to "kick the **** out of me" for something I may have said. Sounds like fun. Im always looking for a good sparring.

I'm sure your a badass. Don't take what I'm saying personally. My point about freedom of speech has nothing to do with this site. It was meant as a general point about those that hide behind freedom of speech (in the world). Funny how you just assumed I'm talking about people on this site (or somehow you). Please don't hurt me. LOL.

Last edited:

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now you're just being stupid. Why say any of that? Did I say I was a bad azz verbatim? Nope. I just stated the obvious. Not taking anything personal, if it seemed so I apologize. It's all good, were all friends here.

sent by smoke signals(Tapatalk)

Latest posts

Top Bottom