Is it legal to shoot a bb gun in your backyard in Norman?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mckel100

New to the site!
Reaction score
Would it be legal to discharge a bb gun into a thick standing target in my backyard in Norman OK? I've been looking around and I've found conflicting information, this would be my first purchase of a bb gun.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everything is legal until you get caught. If you can’t find a 100% clear answer, I would call the people who would show up if it is illegal. In this case, your local PD.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Long time ago, air guns were not considered firearms, or not defined as a firearm, since it doesn't use an explosive to propel projectiles. But that's likely changed. Need to look at Norman ordinances and State Statutes.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the CODE OF ORDINANCES City of NORMAN, OK

Screenshot_20230323_225742_Chrome.jpg

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked about this where i live and talked to a couple of LE in my area knowing what the city ordnance said and was told aslong as you have a good backstop and no one complains they usually wont say anything but if someone calls in complaining then they would have to come out and address the problem and it would be up to each individual LE as to how they would handle it. Knowing how most of my neighbors felt about me i decided not to push the envelop.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked about this where i live and talked to a couple of LE in my area knowing what the city ordnance said and was told aslong as you have a good backstop and no one complains they usually wont say anything but if someone calls in complaining then they would have to come out and address the problem and it would be up to each individual LE as to how they would handle it. Knowing how most of my neighbors felt about me i decided not to push the envelop.
D*mn Karens. :finger:

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I have aged, it finally came to me, why ask so many questions, I may get the wrong answer! It for me would be just like CC - even if it says no firearms, I just make sure no one can see it, except for federal/state/gov buildings. You are very likely to have a problem carrying into the post office. I practice with my co2 pistol all the time, I just keep it quiet and don't invite the neighbors who will squeal on you.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Either ya got big balls or you don't. When I lived in a HOdamnA they called me the crazy old redneck on the corner...course I did go to Choctaw schools so there's that influence in my life.

Last edited:

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mostly depends on your neighbors. That's what I tell folks too when they ask me about goats in most city limits. No one complains you are going to be OK.....someone complains, you're screwed.
T

Latest posts

Top Bottom