Is the Ruger Mini-14 Obsolete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here I googled for y’all. @KurtM with them big 30 point words. He’s saying that @OK Corgi Rancher is into clothing and furniture like a woman.
10A98042-49A0-436C-8B25-D4FF154BCDFC.png

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a mini 14 Stainless Ranch rifle. First shot was accurate. Next shot tended to print to the upper right and every round after that did the same. Problem is the barrel band. It won't allow the rifle to float the barrel. One of the guns I can count on one hand that got sold.
There is a guy in Colorado called Accuracy Systems Inc that professes to have the ability to correct that with some good reviews.
I hated the AR platform when leaving the Army. Trashed them at every opportunity from my experiences with them. Accuracy and reliability.
Something changed in 2008. Obama got elected and I thought this was going to be the start of the big one.
Bought a Remington (made by bushmaster) AR at the Wannamaker gun show in full camo. It's my favorite varmint rifle now, along with a safe full of other calibers in the same platform. Some to compete with, some to varmint hunt with and some for big game hunting.
Bolt and lever guns pretty much safe queens now.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a mini 14 Stainless Ranch rifle. First shot was accurate. Next shot tended to print to the upper right and every round after that did the same. Problem is the barrel band. It won't allow the rifle to float the barrel. One of the guns I can count on one hand that got sold.
There is a guy in Colorado called Accuracy Systems Inc that professes to have the ability to correct that with some good reviews.
I hated the AR platform when leaving the Army. Trashed them at every opportunity from my experiences with them. Accuracy and reliability.
Something changed in 2008. Obama got elected and I thought this was going to be the start of the big one.
Bought a Remington (made by bushmaster) AR at the Wannamaker gun show in full camo. It's my favorite varmint rifle now, along with a safe full of other calibers in the same platform. Some to compete with, some to varmint hunt with and some for big game hunting.
Bolt and lever guns pretty much safe queens now.

I've got a couple emails from that guy at Accuracy Systems. I conversed with him over a few weeks several years ago. I don't remember him being in Colorado though. I was going to send him a couple of mine to see if he could make them more accurate, but it was gonna cost about the same as a decent AR, so I've still got my money and he's still got his parts.

I kept them and use the 580 series pretty regular as a truck gun or to shoot at coyotes around the house. I wouldn't use them for much more than that, but I'm not planning on getting shed of them either. I'll tell you this, after about 4-5 quick rounds they spit bullets. I sure as **** wouldn't depend on one of them to save my life if anything else was available. They look cool though, great movie/TV show guns. Pretty fun to shoot at stuff with if you don't really need to hit it.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aren't mini 14's for guys that can't handle 1911's in .45 ACP but can handle a 1911 in 9mm, and those guys would prefer an M1A in .308 but can't handle that....

Just kidding. I liked my Mini 14. Decent enough rifle and felt right when holding it. I like the AR15 too.

For a novice though would recommend an AR though. Reason is cost. Surprisingly I look at a Mini 14 as a substitute for the M1 Carbine, a nice rifle in it's own right.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aren't mini 14's for guys that can't handle 1911's in .45 ACP but can handle a 1911 in 9mm, and those guys would prefer an M1A in .308 but can't handle that....

Just kidding. I liked my Mini 14. Decent enough rifle and felt right when holding it. I like the AR15 too.

For a novice though would recommend an AR though. Reason is cost. Surprisingly I look at a Mini 14 as a substitute for the M1 Carbine, a nice rifle in it's own right.
I got into Minis because I loved my M1A. After running a few Run N Gun competitions with the M1A, I knew I needed a lighter rifle to be competitive. Never was a fan of ARs. I managed to win/place in quite a few RNGs using the Mini.

I finally broke down and got an AR, simply because they're so common, and parts are everywhere. I've warmed up to it, won/placed a couple RNGs with it also. If I was in a precision rifle match, I'd choose the AR no question, but hitting a 4-8 MOA steel at 500 yards is plenty doable with the Mini.

And it looks cool.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you were young did you pay attention to name tags of anyone not a Chief or officer? My nick was Numnuts and that is what everyone called me excepts for the higher ups. I can remember the first name or nick of many of the guys I served with, but very few of the last names including the officers. And no it has nothing to do with how much I drank or the drugs I did.

Yes. Customs and courtesy apply to every rank, and are not optional in branches of the military.
Yes and you should know and use their pronouns too. Seriously when I was in even the officers got razed a little. One of our help pilots was practicing his landings, set down to hard and damaged the tail wheel on the HH3. For weeks every time someone saw him it was "woop, woop go boom"

One buddy and I when we had ops duty would predict when the pilots would be woken up to make a babyvac. We got so good at it they stopped scheduling us together. It was always, "Keep Sandy & Numnuts out of ops"

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yes there are a few changes I would like to see to the Mini including a heavier barrel and to use the much more common AR mags. Other than that I like it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom