Is the tick level, or is it not, a generally good measure of the deer density?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a link to an article that references some of the studies...kind of interesting. http://www.ct.gov/caes/cwp/view.asp?a=2824&q=378038

In short: ticks = deer....no deer (or treated deer)= very few, if any, ticks.

I tried to sell the idea of the "4-poster" pesticide applicator to my command as a method of reducing the tick population in our training area, but the narrow minded folks at higher just decided to cull the deer herd instead...and it turned into a "fish and wildlife warden and his close friends-only" blood bath.

Reaction score
Question: What all tick species do we have in OK?

Do we even have the blacklegged (deer) tick? If so, in what proportion? Which species are the numerous or "standard" kinds? Is it the deer tick or different species?

Thanks.

White-tailed deer are the preferred host for adult Ixodes scapularis and numerous studies have linked the number of deer with the abundance of this tick. In an earlier study, I found that the exclusion of deer from a relatively large area of about 15 acres with an electric deer fence reduced the abundance of larval ticks by 100%, the nymphal ticks by 84% and that of adult ticks by 74%. The USDA has patented a device for the topical application of pesticides to deer for the control of ticks feeding on the animals. This device is called a 4-poster or sometimes a feeder because of the paint rollers on each corner to apply the pesticide and the troughs containing corn to get deer to brush up against the rollers. Originally developed to control ticks on deer in south Texas, studies funded by the USDA and CDC were begun last year in Connecticut and other states in the northeast to determine if this technology could be used to provide community-wide control of the blacklegged tick. These 4-posters were established at two sites in Connecticut. There are 23 of the devices placed in a community in the town of Old Lyme and 5 of the 4-posters located at a privately owned, forested tract in Bridgeport, Connecticut.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I learned something new today.
I never knew there was a correlation between ticks and deer.
Maybe thats why the deer hunting is so good at Big Mac?? If you don't have permanone on your clothing when hunting there, I believe a human could bleed to death from ticks sucking out your blood.
I got Rocky Mountain spotted fever 4 years ago. I don't think I've ever been so sick.
Fortunatly they caught it early enough. The Dr's in Stillwater ER recognized the symptoms immediatly. They told me that as a general rule, the tick has to be burrowed in for 24 hours or longer.

That OSU extension site is the motherload of all information IMO.

I've done the controlled burns on my place, but I burn in Feb when they are still in the ground. Later burns will affect the ground nesting birds, and thats primarily what I manage for.

Reaction score
dennis, was the tick that caused in for more than 24 hours? Did you just not notice it or what? How many days after having the tick did you get symptoms, and how long after symptoms did you see the doctor? Thanks.

What's a good tick killer to get in quantity to kill them on the ground, at least right around the feeder area?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question: What all tick species do we have in OK?

Do we even have the blacklegged (deer) tick? If so, in what proportion? Which species are the numerous or "standard" kinds? Is it the deer tick or different species?

Thanks.

The black legged, I believe, is what is referred to as the "deer tick". That's the type we mostly saw...maybe some dog ticks too.

I have no idea what the base environmental guys would spray to try to knock them down, but it would work in the spot treated areas for a little while....if a trainee ventured outside those areas it was common to have them return literally covered in ticks.

Damn that link gave me the creeps! I hate ticks....heavy permetherin and duct tape around the pant legs for me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
dennis, was the tick that caused in for more than 24 hours? Did you just not notice it or what? How many days after having the tick did you get symptoms, and how long after symptoms did you see the doctor? Thanks.

What's a good tick killer to get in quantity to kill them on the ground, at least right around the feeder area?

I'm pretty sure it was in for more than 24 hours. It was one of the little seed ticks, which according to the info you posted is just a baby. I was at the farm, and picked off several on the way home, but later the next morning, found one on the back of my leg where I couldn't see it.

One thing I did take note of in the info you posted from OSU was to save any ticks that get burrowed in for two weeks. I have an old pill bottle saved for that now. Probably keep it in the freezer if another gets attached.

About a week later, at work In the period of an hour, I got so hot that my clothes were soaked, then the chills set in. I had on two heavy jackets, and had to go outside in the direct sun where I still shook like a leaf in the wind. They called my wife, as I couldn't drive, and she took me to Stillwater ER.
They got me in real quick, and recognized the symptoms, taking blood to test and putting in an IV with antibiotics.
About 3 hours later, I was able to walk out of there.
Its been awhile, but If I remember right, they said that in the blood test there are 5 markers that point to RMSF. I had 4.
The 5th doesn't show up until later stages?

Latest posts

Top Bottom